What .224 bullet would you use?

let's not overthink things here, MK bullets will drop a deer, but, Sierra states on there site that "Match King bullets are NOT recomended for game", there's better choices, Sierra's tec. data alone shows the GK preform better, that's all.
We tend to do a lot of overthinking on this forum for sure! It almost seems like that's the main objective. 😂

Many "match" bullets were specifically designed for 2 legged game. Sierra's, specifically in .308, being one of them. Hornady's eldm bullets have proven to be fantastic on game, despite being "match" bullets.

Real world performance>manufacture disclaimer

I'm not saying that match bullets are always the answer, but if they shoot better in a particular gun, they can be a very valid option. Being able to hit the animal exactly where you want is a priority.

I like all the thoughts and suggestions so far guy's.

I agree for the most part with the people that say the 5.56/223 isn't the ideal cartridge for deer. Up until the last few months I wouldn't of considered it but a few friends that have been using them for drive's has me rethinking it.

I would still reach for my 300 WM or 45-70 anytime I was serious about killing something bigger but I think the AR could be a fun experiment and possibly a viable option for my small wife.

I like all the thoughts and suggestions so far guy's.

I agree for the most part with the people that say the 5.56/223 isn't the ideal cartridge for deer. Up until the last few months I wouldn't of considered it but a few friends that have been using them for drive's has me rethinking it.

I would still reach for my 300 WM or 45-70 anytime I was serious about killing something bigger but I think the AR could be a fun experiment and possibly a viable option for my small wife.
I have to disagree with your friends. The .223/5.56 is not an ideal round for Deer, matter of a fact it's a terrible round for deer. I had a friend coerce me into trying my AR deer hunting. Yes, because the bullet was placed where it should be it did kill the deer, but only after it ran for about 100 yards and I'm pretty sure it was not having a fun time running and probably didn't feel too well. While it did fit my criteria for one shot one deer in my opinion the deer suffered too long. To my way of thinking, right, wrong or indifferent the deer when hit should drop in place not to move again. My 308 and my 270 do that on a regular basis. I haven't hunted deer with my 30-06, which is primarily a Factory Class Benchrest rifle. It can kill a deer just as well as the other two, I just don't hunt with it. My way of thinking is that it's only ethical to put down the animal with the least amount of suffering as possible. That goes for all animals not only deer.

I have to disagree with your friends. The .223/5.56 is not an ideal round for Deer, matter of a fact it's a terrible round for deer. I had a friend coerce me into trying my AR deer hunting. Yes, because the bullet was placed where it should be it did kill the deer, but only after it ran for about 100 yards and I'm pretty sure it was not having a fun time running and probably didn't feel too well. While it did fit my criteria for one shot one deer in my opinion the deer suffered too long. To my way of thinking, right, wrong or indifferent the deer when hit should drop in place not to move again. My 308 and my 270 do that on a regular basis. I haven't hunted deer with my 30-06, which is primarily a Factory Class Benchrest rifle. It can kill a deer just as well as the other two, I just don't hunt with it. My way of thinking is that it's only ethical to put down the animal with the least amount of suffering as possible. That goes for all animals not only deer.

In my 50+ years of hunting, I have personally shot and witnessed numerous (hundreds) properly placed bullets from everything from 22's to 12ga slugs, and while many were DRT, some ran from a few yards to nearly 100. I have seen deer and hogs DRT from hits from my 222 and 223's with proper chosen bullets and placements, and then I have seen good bucks to small does run after impacts from 270, 7Mag, 30-06, 300WM, 444Marlin, 45-70 to 12ga slugs.

Upon cleaning, it was common to find lungs and/or hearts completely severed and destroyed, but deer sized animals often have about 10 seconds of oxygen in their systems before expiring, so a deer or similar can run a fair ways within 10 seconds.

What bullet were you using? This is crucial to performance, especially with something like .223.

Bullet construction > brass headstamp

The last buck I shot in gun season took a 260gr 20ga slug through the heart at 50yds. He ran well over 100yds before he died. I don't believe I was under gunned. I also think a lot of "DRT" shots are paralyzed deer that are quite alive still.

I don't think a sample of 1 qualifies or disqualifies a cartridge as acceptable for deer or other medium sized mammals. Further, I have seen deer run 100+ yards after being hit in the boiler room with 30 caliber bullets. They were dead but had not been informed of it. Finally, to expect every animal do drop and die upon being shot is not a realistic expectation.

Out of an AR15 what bullet would you use to hunt whitetail and other midsize game?
Myself Im currently working on developing a handload using the 60g Hammer Hunter. I found its projectile length suitable for seating to mag length in any standard AR magazine without protruding too deeply in the case. I think its possible a slightly heavier Hammer could work too, but just picked the 60g to start with due to its optimal length.
My next pick would be the 78 grain Barnes TSX but not sure if these are maybe too long for standard AR mag's?
Use this link as a guide. https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Barnes
They dont list the 78g but a comparable 70g TSX is over an inch long at 1.037" so its safe to say the 78g is longer. Doing the math the 70g TSX will protrude .527" into the case if seated to MAX coal, thats .215" past the bottom shoulder junction. Thats taking away a lot of powder space.
Ive used a 55g TTSX on deer and its a great bullet but Im still switching to Hammers....

Selection_001.jpg

Last edited:
With searching around for bullets it's looking like out of most of the more recommended bullets about the only thing I can get my hands on is the Hammers.

Think I'm gonna get a 100 to play with…I've always wanted to mess with a mono so I'll see how fast I can drive em with what sort of accuracy.

I may have to take a trip south to test the 65 grain game kings and some hammers on some hogs