What .224 bullet would you use?

My daughter has killed several deer with the Nosler 60 gr. Partition out of a 22-250, out to 325 yards. I've also killed several deer with the Sierra 69 gr. BTHP out of a .223 bolt gun. Both work well for Whitetails

Out of an AR15 what bullet would you use to hunt whitetail and other midsize game?

I'm thinking like an 80 grain Partition would be great but doesn't exist.

My next pick would be the 78 grain Barnes TSX but not sure if these are maybe too long for standard AR mag's?

I currently run the 65 grain Sierra game king for shooting and varmint hunting but not sure this is enough for deer?
Personally I would sell the AR15 and get an AR10 shooting 308 165 gr partitions. I have hunted deer with an AR15 and while successful was not satisfied with the performance of the .223 on deer size animals.

Is this based on personal experience with both? Or based on the name of the bullet?
let's not overthink things here, MK bullets will drop a deer, but, Sierra states on there site that "Match King bullets are NOT recomended for game", there's better choices, Sierra's tec. data alone shows the GK preform better, that's all.

Last edited:
If you follow the Mono theory, wouldn't lighter at high speeds be the answer? I can't deer hunt with 223, but I use it for predator hunting. My load in 223 while calling when there's potential to run into cougars is a 45gr Barnes pushed to the max......I haven't yet shot anything bigger than a coyote with it yet, but it's what I'd grab. The only deer I saw killed with a 223 was with a 50gr hollow point, broadside at 100. No exit, lung soup, and it stepped 20 feet and fell over. It worked but if it had run or got into brush I wouldn't have wanted to track it. I yeld to those that actually have experience using it, but am surprised by how many answers are heavy bullets in a small case......I would have expected more of "speed kills" answers. Thoughts?

Out of an AR15 what bullet would you use to hunt whitetail and other midsize game?

My next pick would be the 78 grain Barnes TSX but not sure if these are maybe too long for standard AR mag's?

I currently run the 65 grain Sierra game king for shooting and varmint hunting but not sure this is enough for deer?
There are a lot of chambering availble in an ar15 besides 2.23/5.5; I would say 120gr Fusions in not limiting the caliber.

We've had good results with the 60 gr Partition but having switched to the teeny 52 gr Hammer, wouldn't go back. It's fast (3,400 fps in a .223) with very outsized performance as well as being the best grouping performer of anything we've tried. Lots of good options though.

I would echo the fast mono if sticking to 223 in an AR and be mindful of the distances of the shot. I would also suggest a different caliber if looking to take on deer and such with an AR. The 6.5 Grendel is, in my opinion, about the perfect starter deer cartridge regardless of platform. Many of the guys shooting the 99HH are north of 2700 fps. Pushing a bullet that weight that fast in a 223 is pretty much impossible.

I would not go hunting with a 223.
There are much better choices...

As already stated by many, there are several bullets that are effective on deer, but we use and have used these - Various weight Barnes, Sierra 63SMP and 65GKBT, varied 62-64gr SP, 60gr NPT, 70gr Speer and Nosler AB, and some 75, 77 and 80's. While we have had success with these, for many years, my favorites in both my bolt and AR guns have been the 62gr TBBC and the 70gr Nosler AB.

I would not go hunting with a 223.
There are much better choices...

While true there are "better" cartridges for deer, there have been numerous deer and similar game killed with a 223 and other 22's. Many of us have been killing deer/hogs with these calibers for many decades, and just like handgun hunting, knowing your and the gun/load limitations is all a part of the fun and challenge. Heck, why bow or muzzle load hunt when there are so many modern rifles and loads? /rhet

One of the largest body whitetails I ever killed was with a 222Rem and a 55gr handload, and he ran no farther than some 270 and 30-06 shot animals.

Last edited: