Velocity spread based off load or reloading practices

What’s more influential towards a small es? Load development or reloading practice?

• Load development

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The majority of folks touting low ES or SD are flat out wrong. ES & SD are statistical measurements, and frankly it's pretty rare for guys to have statistically significant data sets.

And while I'm at it, you should look at +/- 1 SD from a true mean, not ES...don't go chasing waterfalls

When do you load up to the limit of 60000 psi?
How do you really know that you are over 60,000 psi?
Through quick load?
Do you make estimates through this program?

to sub half tenth grain of powder.

Imo decent case prep will reduce spread but you would also have to sort cases by H2O volume & anneal every firing if you were serious.
Plus most scales measure to 1/10th grain accuracy so unless you are going to measure with a scientific or jewellers scale then your always going to get variances from the powder charge!

Imo decent case prep will reduce spread but you would also have to sort cases by H2O volume & anneal every firing if you were serious.
Plus most scales measure to 1/10th grain accuracy so unless you are going to measure with a scientific or jewellers scale then your always going to get variances from the powder charge!
The smaller the case the more effect internal volume and exact powder charges have. A chargemaster is good enough for a 300 rum with 90 grains of powder but would not be optimal for a BR. Since I got a fx-120 my Es and SD's are waaay down.

The smaller the case the more effect internal volume and exact powder charges have. A chargemaster is good enough for a 300 rum with 90 grains of powder but would not be optimal for a BR. Since I got a fx-120 my Es and SD's are waaay down.
You are exactly right about case capacity I reload for a 338 lapua when you're running nearly 90 Grains of powder half a grain is not that much I do use a charge master but then I transfer that to another digital scale to verify weight

Good reloading practices are important to get low sd's but load development plays a big part in it too. I have several 260's and I have 2 different loads that I use depending on the rifle. I can take one and get single digit sd's in at least one rifle and that same load will be in the high teens to low 20s in another rifle. I have tested thar with different loads and have had similar results. I have thought about trying to play with seating depth to see if I can improve the results any but haven't been to the range enough to try it. I don't buy into needing a lab scale to measure to the hundredth of a grain since plenty of people don't have any trouble accomplishing single digit sd's with other scale setups.

Good reloading practices are important to get low sd's but load development plays a big part in it too. I have several 260's and I have 2 different loads that I use depending on the rifle. I can take one and get single digit sd's in at least one rifle and that same load will be in the high teens to low 20s in another rifle. I have tested thar with different loads and have had similar results. I have thought about trying to play with seating depth to see if I can improve the results any but haven't been to the range enough to try it. I don't buy into needing a lab scale to measure to the hundredth of a grain since plenty of people don't have any trouble accomplishing single digit sd's with other scale setups.
I wonder how many people still just use the volume method and scoop their powder this used to be the only way to do it I wonder what kind of Es and Sd they get with this method

I wonder how many people still just use the volume method and scoop their powder this used to be the only way to do it I wonder what kind of Es and Sd they get with this method

I know that is all the father in law uses but he is lucky to hold minute of coyote at 100 yards lol. I would be curious to see how much variation there is in weight from one scoop to another.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.