Key to low ES on reloading

Very true.

The one thing you did not mention is what chronograph you are using and how absolutely 100% confident you are in your chrony numbers on your ES.

I would stretch your load out to the farthest distance you have available and shoot 5 rounds, measure your vertical spread. If you are say dead on in your vertical spread I would say you are either good to go or good to shoot your lying chronograph. I've seen way too many chrony's that should not be used as reliable 100% data. I always let my field test shooting override my chrony data.

+1

end all, be all is what the bullet is doing down range. that's what we care about. if you get out to 6-700 and you truly have an ES of 50fps you'll have a vertical dispersion.

also doubles as a good check on the average reading (traj validation) you're using from the chrony if the group is high/low of your aiming point

Three major items will effect ES if the powder load is good.

However, first you have to have an accurate chrono, otherwise you are just wasting your time. I use an Oehler 35P

1. Primers- depending on the powder you may not need a magnum primer. Going to a standard primer is often the cure.

2. Neck tension variance- anneal

3. Use powdered graphite in the necks before seating. You can buy Imperial Dry Neck Lube 1oz Powder. If you use the steel pin case cleaning, this is a must.

4. 21st Centurys hydro seater is a great tool to measure an variance in seating pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.