US special ops on the hunt for cutting edge sniper rifle to compete with Russia, China

https://barrett.net/products/firear...46.1525931250.1705168660-965296766.1705168660

1705169088871.png

The headline from above:

US special ops on the hunt for cutting edge sniper rifle to compete with Russia, China

If this was truly the case, why haven't these solicitations been suggested to DOD or other of the secretive developers paid by us the citizens. We should be getting the best of the new ideas not those which have been recycled by the newest of the commercial suppliers.

Barrett is now part of a family owned Australian company searching out the potential for a large profits through this type of program. They offer nothing new or 'cutting edge' at all. In fact, the .416 Barrett cartridge lacks what could be offered but will cost more in research dollars and time.

Hopefully, the project managers will see through this entry and reject it for another, better, more advanced, higher performing entry.

:)

If this was truly the case, why haven't these solicitations been suggested to DOD or other of the secretive developers paid by us the citizens. We should be getting the best of the new ideas not those which have been recycled by the newest of the commercial suppliers.

"Hopefully, the project managers will see through this entry and reject it for another, better, more advanced, higher performing entry."

Such as?

That's the point of my post.

I am not privy to any of the advanced developments in arms or ammunition. :(

Why are we assuming (?) that the Barrett rifle and ammunition is the only solution to this submission? The cartridge has been around since 2005 and has received little improvement except for the potential of some newer solid bullets which they aren't listing as possible loads.

The new owners are certainly looking for the ever present cash cow, the U.S. military establishment. They don't have to put any money into it as both the rifle and the ammunition already exist.

So, drawing on your experience, which I respect, what would you think is a viable alternative to a Barrett submission?

Asked respectfully.

Just about any well-built / ELR large-ish caliber bolt action rifle would suffice. The MRADELR is a very nice rifle, lightweight for being a 416 Barret and extremely accurate- but very expensive. I think it is an excellent rifle for the given mission, but way too much money (from what I hear). Bought in bulk purchases it should cost around 7K per rifle (just off top my head).

The bottom line is when you consider all the variables you need to consider when building a rifle for the intended mission of the 416 Barret (ELR capable / lightweight / reliable / mag fed) etc, it fits the bill nicely.

There is no need to chase the newest ELR hotrod, in the long run it gains you virtually nothing.

Bought in bulk purchases it should cost around 7K per rifle (just off top my head).

Probably for the rifle alone but the military has in the past wanted a complete kit plus repair parts and a service contract for training and maintenance. These components added to the basic agreement usually drives the price of the kit way up substantially.

Thank you for your thoughts.

:)