Trained Adult Lab Stopped Retrieving Pheasant

Plus one on the woodcock tasting funny. I know this sounds strange, but when she is at the bird that is down, walk away from her as you encourage her to bring the bird. Make her choose, usually the dog won't want to leave behind the bird or be left behind herself. Has worked for me many times in the past. Good luck.

I trained and assisted in training Labs for many years, Go back to the basics to include force fetching if necessary. A retriever who will not retrieve in the field is useless in the field. Wounded birds escape.

Teach her force fetch. If you didn't do it in initial training I am not surprised she would stop fetching. If you did it in your original training refresh her memory.

I had a buddy shock my leg on one of the lower power settings while I was driving us back from Cabelas after he just got a new collar, almost crashed the car.
I zapped my wife...by accident. She put the collar around her bicep because she wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting "her" dogs. Old style controller with a button for each power setting, I thought I was on the lowest power but was actually on the highest because I was holding it upside down. This was +20 years ago, she's still ****ed and I still sleep with one eye open...

He may have hit her too hard with the collar, they are very effective but there are really only 3 levels; too little, too much, and just right. I tried one on my neck half power just see what I was dishing out and I wouldn't pick up a bird again either.
I would put it on the collar. I have had 4 Labs. Never used a collar like that.

I have a 4 year old fox red lab who has been bird hunting for 3 years. She is really quite good, as she will point, flush and retrieve consistently every time. Yesterday was my first day out for the season and she did everything well, accept for retrieving the bird. Instead, she would find it after being downed, but would just sit next to it and refused to pick it up. This happened for all three birds. Also, about three weeks ago we had a Woodcock hit the window of our cabin and die. For fun, I tried having here retrieve that bird but she also refused. Any thoughts on what might cause this and more importantly any advice? She was at a trainer this summer working on skills while we were on vacation and I wonder if something happened there. I've reached out but am still awaiting a response. He had her on an e- collar which is something she had only just started to have exposure to prior and was a long way from being perfected.

Thanks
Nick
I have a 9 month old Czech shephard that works well she retrieves She has found evry wounded every bird and brings them back she stands for the shot then when told to go she is off.. I use a e-collor mostly for the vib to get her attention for hand signal's she also is good at bring my ducks back also she just loves to hunt and is doing blood tracking of large game used to find one wounded moose that got away took a bit but she tracked it and found the dead moose before it spoiled or the bears or wolves could get to it

Attachments

• 0877.jpg
    0877.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 59
I zapped my wife...by accident. She put the collar around her bicep because she wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting "her" dogs. Old style controller with a button for each power setting, I thought I was on the lowest power but was actually on the highest because I was holding it upside down. This was +20 years ago, she's still ****ed and I still sleep with one eye
That reminds me of the story bw my Aunt and Uncle. He was a bit of a joker, and could literally grab an electric fence and hold on to it. They were at my dad's garden one morning picking peas. They had a wash tub full of peas and were headed to the house, both holdinga handle. It was early and there was still a dew on the ground, and as they walked out of the field, my Uncle reached over and grabbed an electric fence. Needless to say it lit my Aunt up very well. She was not happy with her "Beau" as she always called him. If we ever wanted to get her stirred up in later years, all we had to do was to mention that episode. My Dad could hardly make it through telling the story of witnessing her trying to let go of the tub handle and then going after my Uncle...

OP, back to the basics- make it fun.

I zapped my wife...by accident
Likely story!
I have force fetched all of my labs but they were much younger. You must realize that if you go this route it's not easy for you or the dog and you must follow through or you will have problems. Follow through and the dog will be dependable, know what their job is and understand that you are the boss.
As stated above force fetch would be last resort given the dogs age and can be a very long endeavor even with a younger dog. (But worth every minute)

I don't know what would cause your retriever to stop retrieving but I know what old school Labrador guys would say and it's not going to help your situation, so let's get it out of the way with the first reply.
  • Labradors come in three colors, red not being one of them
  • Labradors should be bred to retrieve first, then flush- not point
Okay, now that's out of the way. My advice is just work with her on retrieves, starting easy and making it fun again. Start with the basics, let her enjoy the game. Don't progress until she is retrieving and holding to your satisfaction. My guess is she will snap back into her main role. Maybe too much work in the upland fields "pointing" has her identifying as a short hair.
I don't think a Lab in her prime will completely forget the drive to retrieve.
Force fetch as a last resort.
The beauty of a real lab is that you don't have to train a retrieve, it should be totally instinctual. Same with water work. So.... that said ...I agree with prior advice, back to basics. I have had labs and DK's. With Dk's pointing is instinctual, water work instinctual and almost as good as a lab. Retrieve is there but will need work, not as instinctual as a lab. Take your pick. I left labs bc they are no longer bred to correct standard and now all look blocky and course like newfies and are too large or like fireplugs on short legs. None have the proper otter tail, but ones that curl over their backs like a Spitz. Not interested in seeing buttholes on a "lab".Some are aggressive or have other behavioral issues which is NEVER in a real lab. I agree with prior post that if it ain't one of the three colors it may look like a lab but it isn't one. Red and silver are not labs. I blame this on show breeders. American breeders could learn alot from the German breed clubs. AKC registry is toilet paper. Versatile hunting dogs North america (VHDNA) step in right direction. To really know about good/proper dog breeding do a little reading on DK's. Lab lovers need to come together and do something similar to save that breed.

The beauty of a real lab is that you don't have to train a retrieve, it should be totally instinctual. Same with water work. So.... that said ...I agree with prior advice, back to basics. I have had labs and DK's. With Dk's pointing is instinctual, water work instinctual and almost as good as a lab. Retrieve is there but will need work, not as instinctual as a lab. Take your pick. I left labs bc they are no longer bred to correct standard and now all look blocky and course like newfies and are too large or like fireplugs on short legs. None have the proper otter tail, but ones that curl over their backs like a Spitz. Not interested in seeing buttholes on a "lab".Some are aggressive or have other behavioral issues which is NEVER in a real lab. I agree with prior post that if it ain't one of the three colors it may look like a lab but it isn't one. Red and silver are not labs. I blame this on show breeders. American breeders could learn alot from the German breed clubs. AKC registry is toilet paper. Versatile hunting dogs North america (VHDNA) step in right direction. To really know about good/proper dog breeding do a little reading on DK's. Lab lovers need to come together and do something similar to save that breed.
Off subject but I believe my next lab will be a British lab and not a American lab. Not ruined by show dogs and pets but still bred for hunting!

All that said I really love labs, but have to shake my head at what I see nowadays. Is your dog APLA? I have had labs that pointed an it as a trait can be bred for to be instinctual same as any other trait. To me a pointing lab is about as perfect a dog as you can get. Retrieve, water work, pointing ALL instinctual.....NO training except for basic controls. Much stricter german breed club regulations are needed....otherwise????

Off subject but I believe my next lab will be a British lab and not a American lab. Not ruined by show dogs and pets but still bred for hunting!
British labs are IMAO like fireplugs on short legs and do not look the least bit Nobel. The American hunting retriever of 30-40 years ago is what a lab should look like. Problem is the hunt test clubs started breeding for more aggressive, far ranging, larger, hyper dogs, as in the Marley movie.