Thumbhole stocks

To those that say it does, why does it take longer to cycle the action than with a sporter. Considering a Boyd thumbhole or AT-ONE for a savage I have.
I've always thought the thumb-hole stocks looked so sleek and cool. Then I finally got one for my Ruger 77/22 (.22LR) and...I hated it. It looked nice. It felt good when I was lining up and shooting it. And that's when the 'good' went away. Having to 'untangle' my hand from the hole, find the bolt to work it, then re-thread my hand back into the hole was SLOW. I used to think, 'This stock would be fine on a Ruger 10/22 where I didn't have to pull my hand out and put it back in after every shot. But trying to work a bolt action quickly? Not good!'

So that's it for me. Accessing the safety easily and working the bolt quickly just doesn't work well when using a 'traditional' thumb-hole stock. I see some designs now where the 'thumb-hole' opening is HUGE and perhaps they are okay since one isn't trying to thread their hand/thumb through a small passageway. I don't know. I just know I don't see myself buying a thumbhole stock again.

(And anyone interested in a Boyds laminated thumbhole stock to fit a Ruger 77/22 in .22LR should PM...it's for sale, ha!) EDIT on 1/12/2020: Stock is sold to LRH member. Thanks!

Last edited:
Manners EH5 and T5A try one and you will be sold. I have 9 of them. I have yet to find a person I let shoot one that didn't love it, and a lot have converted. They have a more vertical grip than the other thumb hole stocks and way bigger opening. They also have a palm swell and the T5A has a thumb shelf. I done find it any slower to cycle the bolt and have never found the safety to be an issue, in fact until i heard it mentioned here it never crossed my mind. I use them hunting, I shoot F-Class with a couple, and other competitions with them. So I have experience in many different disciplines using them and hands down are my favorite stock and have since sold all my Mcmillians.

Last edited:
I have a thumbhole on my T/C Omega which served many years as my long range muzzleloader and liked it in that setting. However once I discovered the A3/A5 grip on a McMillan I never sought a thumbhole for a bolt action rifle...the vertical grip position was what I was really likeing about the thumbhole.
The A3 style is the direction ive decided to go also.

20170904_205035.jpg
20170925_212924.jpg

Well...my 300wm is pretty to look at...weighs in at 16 lbs with a full mag...now sports a 16x SWFA so it might not weigh quite as much with that scope.

VZ 24 mauser action that has about as much done to it as you can do!

Shoots almost as good as it looks!

I have several thumbhole stocks. Big calibers and small calibers. Any stock, needs to fit properly and be comfortable. These criteria will give you what you need to be consistent. We all know consistency is what drives accuracy.
Thumbholes stocks need to allow you to get your wrist straight and your hand in a ergonomical position. Palm swells the same. A straight wrist and a ergonomic grip, allows you to look straightforward down the rifle.
Also, I modify my stocks to make sure I can achieve this. If I cannot, then I send it on its way.

Jayson

Last edited:
I've shifted to a few manners eh5s and love them. Great looking and feel solid when holding them
View attachment 167706
Have the same stock great prone and great off of shooting stick when predator calling .
These seem to fit the same way God designed my hand/wrist/arm :) my hand is aligned straight with my arm ?
Slower cycling the bolt ? maybe a micro second maybe not .

For target or varmint work they are awesome. For hunting I do not like them. Say you are in the woods sneaking along. See something and you need to pull your hand out to hit the safety and then back in and mount. Too slow. For dangerous game a definite no
I have hunted a lot with my manners thumbhole and have experienced no difference in my time to cycle the bolt or flip the safety. I am more of a spot and stalk guy though and don't know what "sneaking" is

Part of the "issue" is that there are many VARIATIONS of what a 'thumbhole' stock looks like. Some are more 'open' and easier to get your hand in and out of than others. I don't think anyone is right or wrong here; they are just sharing THEIR experiences with what they've used. When someone asks for opinions, they will get the good, bad, and ugly. That's fine. Then they can weigh it all out and think about what they want and need to decide for themselves.

I built both of these. The above boyds for a budget lr and the lower a manners eh5. Definitely a different feel for each. The manners is much more vertical and open. Almost a chassis type feel.
2353465C-AA55-4B54-8306-5A3D2CAB2766.jpeg
400E92DE-03E2-4AAB-96DA-87071B22D714.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.