Thumbhole stocks

When you said I was clumsy I saw red. But I have done what you do. Put the good shooter on post. I laughed when I was in Africa. An eland running at about 200 yards. They were horrified I shot at a running animal. All shook and where did you hit it? It fell over didn,t it? lol. A few days later the farm owner wanted to shoot a kudu bull. WALKING at 60 yards. He is muttering stop you &^#%^. I rolled my eyes and couldn,t believe it. Out here on the prairie if you can,t hit running game you eat a lot of track soup. I grew up walking and shooting jack rabbits and fox. Big game is a breeze after you do enough of that

When you said I was clumsy I saw red. But I have done what you do. Put the good shooter on post. I laughed when I was in Africa. An eland running at about 200 yards. They were horrified I shot at a running animal. All shook and where did you hit it? It fell over didn,t it? lol. A few days later the farm owner wanted to shoot a kudu bull. WALKING at 60 yards. He is muttering stop you &^#%^. I rolled my eyes and couldn,t believe it. Out here on the prairie if you can,t hit running game you eat a lot of track soup. I grew up walking and shooting jack rabbits and fox. Big game is a breeze after you do enough of that
I never called you clumsy. I was kidding about the guys saying cycling the bolt and safety were much harder with a thumbhole. It was all in fun.

The OP just needs to shoot both and see what he likes for his application

I never called you clumsy. I was kidding about the guys saying cycling the bolt and safety were much harder with a thumbhole. It was all in fun.

The OP just needs to shoot both and see what he likes for his application
I have had thumbholes. Fajens is gone now but they made some beauties in wood. I had a BT99 trap gun with a thumb hole and I was death with it. Also a catbird. But for regular hunting. Especially dangerous game up close and fast I prefer a regular classic stock . In Alaska I had a 17 enfield classic stock in 416 weatherby. I was moose hunting and spotted ravens sitting in a tree and saw a moose palm sticking out of the grass. So I went and looked. You know how spruce grow to the ground when in the open? woof woof woof. Not the right sound but the best way I can describe it. Chest high willows. There was a rock ridge close. The bear circled and went by about 20 ft higher elevation than me. All I could see were his legs. If you cannot make a kill shot when in a situation like that you don,t shoot. After it was all over I went in farther and his front pad was 10 inches wide. From where he was laying to where I was standing was 12 paces. Now you might understand why I prefer a classic stock for hunting. And I also like a rocker safety. Remington,weatherby markV, Enfield. The Enfield is my favorite. The model 70 is not natural. A different movement.

I have had thumbholes. Fajens is gone now but they made some beauties in wood. I had a BT99 trap gun with a thumb hole and I was death with it. Also a catbird. But for regular hunting. Especially dangerous game up close and fast I prefer a regular classic stock . In Alaska I had a 17 enfield classic stock in 416 weatherby. I was moose hunting and spotted ravens sitting in a tree and saw a moose palm sticking out of the grass. So I went and looked. You know how spruce grow to the ground when in the open? woof woof woof. Not the right sound but the best way I can describe it. Chest high willows. There was a rock ridge close. The bear circled and went by about 20 ft higher elevation than me. All I could see were his legs. If you cannot make a kill shot when in a situation like that you don,t shoot. After it was all over I went in farther and his front pad was 10 inches wide. From where he was laying to where I was standing was 12 paces. Now you might understand why I prefer a classic stock for hunting. And I also like a rocker safety. Remington,weatherby markV, Enfield. The Enfield is my favorite. The model 70 is not natural. A different movement.
I'd make a joke about this being "long range hunting.com" but you've had a long day ;)

Hunting is hunting. Thrills are thrills. Some like to sit far away and execute. I get my thrill by working in close and using skill. Is either right or wrong? I will not judge.

Hunting is hunting. Thrills are thrills. Some like to sit far away and execute. I get my thrill by working in close and using skill. Is either right or wrong? I will not judge.
I'm talking about giving our opinions of gear assuming he will use it for long range hunting.

Ok. The farthest I have ever shot an animal is 600 yards. Childs play for the rigs you have. Ethi cally I cannot condone myself shooting much farther than that at game. Wind, marrage, angle. How would you like to be gut shot and run into the woods and a slow lingering death? Your choice

Ok. The farthest I have ever shot an animal is 600 yards. Childs play for the rigs you have. Ethi cally I cannot condone myself shooting much farther than that at game. Wind, marrage, angle. How would you like to be gut shot and run into the woods and a slow lingering death? Your choice
Let's take this to Pm since you're having a bad night. Then we aren't wasting other people's time. I agree that many long shots are unethical which is why I don't take long shots at animals. I practice as far as I can with my rigs because it makes 800 in automatic in calm conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts