Thumbhole stocks

Several on here stated the awkward manipulation of the safety. I have two Boyd's on Savages, I love them except for the extra time & movement accessing the safety.
In tight treestand situations that extra movement and time may blow an opportunity.
Definitely wouldnt be my first choice still hunting whitetails when "quick" and followup shots may be required.
In an longer range event it is possible that after waiting for the "perfect shot" it may pass while dis-engaging a Savage safety and re-adjusting your setup.
Not saying they won't work, I've brought mine out west and successfully bagged mule deer at distance after a long wait.

On a Remington style action all those potential problems would be non-exsistant because of easier access to safety.
Imho,
Randy

Like em great feel to me.Not what I pack,this a 257 wby,varmit type rifle for me
IMG_1381.JPG

I have an AG Composites Feratta on my 338 rum. I thought yeah a thumbhole will be sweet! I find myself keeping my thumb out the hole, ans up above on the shelf. Which is the grip I use 90% the time anymore. Gripping with the thumb inside seems to induce torquing of the stock by me, which is no Bueno.

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_112328.jpg
    IMG_20200108_112328.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
No hurt feelers here. Some people aren't very coordinated ;)
Sorry, couldn't help it
Ya and some are a SA keyboard God. Don,t know how to sneak hunt? (still hunt)? For somebody that cannot sneak or ghost through the woods and jump shoot. You are probably too slow anyway to even try it.

Ya and some are a SA keyboard God. Don,t know how to sneak hunt? (still hunt)? For somebody that cannot sneak or ghost through the woods and jump shoot. You are probably too slow anyway to even try it.
If you knew me, you'd know I was kidding. I can hunt, shoot and hike just fine. I make videos so you can see I'm not always behind the keyboard. You should make videos too. They are very helpful for everyone :)

Now I know why you spot and stalk. 14 to 16 pounds? Like taking a Peterbilt to a nascar race
The bottom one is mine and weighs 11lb 3oz total. Very packable. Its the one I shot in the video I posted last week at 1268yds. Worth the extra weight.

The bottom one is mine and weighs 11lb 3oz total. Very packable. Its the one I shot in the video I posted last week at 1268yds. Worth the extra weight.
Long day and struck a bad nerve. My gig is hunting. I enjoy nothing more than take my 358 Winchester and ghost. One step and look. repeat. About a 1/4 mile in an hour. Every step your view changes. Our view just differs. Free white and 21 we can have whatever we want. My favorite rig is a classic stock 7 practical with a 2x12 varix6 mounted low with a 26 inch barrel. Shoots as far as I want to with 175 nosler partitions. And kills from any angle.

Long day and struck a bad nerve. My gig is hunting. I enjoy nothing more than take my 358 Winchester and ghost. One step and look. repeat. About a 1/4 mile in an hour. Every step your view changes. Our view just differs. Free white and 21 we can have whatever we want. My favorite rig is a classic stock 7 practical with a 2x12 varix6 mounted low with a 26 inch barrel. Shoots as far as I want to with 175 nosler partitions. And kills from any angle.
It's fine we differ. No need to name call :) I had a long day too.
I'm a spot and stalker. The areas we go, my buddies usually hunt the timber while I post up on a mountain and provide overwatch of sorts. If I can help get them on a nice buck or bull, that's the best! If they can't get em, I'll give it a shot. Like you, this is my gig. Lots of building, shooting and hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts