Thoughts on remington 700 long range

I have no interest in dealing with Remington. They can taken it back and deal with Remington. I suppose I could try polishing the chamber myself, but who knows what else is wrong that I cant see? For all I know the action is an million miles out square and the barrel is a tomato stake. Sorry fellas just need to vent alittle. Maybe this is alittle bit of my work stress coming out haha!

20190301_083817.jpg

If you can get your rifle back there might be some options on stocks. Looks like Browning's Hells canyon line is built on the X Bolt, so possible to get stocks and maybe rebarreling though them. Looks like these guys made stocks at one time. I don't know anything about them though. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/. And in any case it sounds like a burr is in your chamber which is an easy fix. And should be a warranty issue. I know this is a pain, and really should of not happened. But in my mind these are fixable issues which shouldn't cost you a dime.

I wouldn't try to polish that burr out of your chamber, that would most likely void your warranty. It's possible that that barrel would need to be set back or even replaced. I know your ****ed and just venting, but what I said you should explore is something I've had to do with other things I've purchased. My two cents worth. Good luck.

Tell Remington you're ----ed and want a Sendero SF barrel. Stainless looks nice on black. This seriously does suck though; mess around with warranty work for who knows how many weeks while you could be doing setup and load development, all for a barrel you intended to replace anyway down the road.
I did plan on a replacement barrel but cant afford that just yet. I bought it to shoot and build. Not to have to wait for the money to rebarrel. At that rate I'd be better of with just buying the action.

I did plan on a replacement barrel but cant afford that just yet. I bought it to shoot and build. Not to have to wait for the money to rebarrel. At that rate I'd be better of with just buying the action.

Maybe that burr will come out and it turns out to be a shooter? I've seen burr on other rifles before and once cleaned up they shot great.

I would def try to return it, first, then try Remington warranty if the shop is being stupid, then last try taking it to the smith for little accurazing stuff. He can bore scope it first so you aren't wasting your time, then remove the burr, glass bed, torque to spec, clean the barrel, a little bit of trigger work. Can't see that being more than $150.

Yeah I just cannot see why the shop wouldn't take it back. To me that's bad business. But under Remington Limited Lifetime warranty that burr is covered. As is any other issue with the rifle that occurred during manufacturing for the life of the original owner. Terms are all in the link I posted.

They are dealing with Remington on my behalf. Which I guess is nice of them. The shop manager got them to expedite my rifle so turn around time is 2 weeks. I still feel they should have done something for me and ate the cost of getting the rifle repaired.

Last edited:
Hmm well good, I guess. I'll bite my tongue on your shop. But here's my thinking. I like Brownings too, but the aftermarket support on them is low. I have Mausers and Winchesters also, but again they just don't have the aftermarket support as Remington's do. And since I could either have someone rebarrel my M700 or buy a Remage type barrel having a M700 makes sense. Sorry you're having some issues, hopefully your rifle will be a good shooter and this will be just a bump in the road.

Typical... Nothing positive to add, just standing back waiting for the crap-show to talk crap about Remington. Everything factory is a crap-shoot...Including your beloved Salvage.
I own CA and Bergara rifles. No salvage here. Funny how you can spout off all over this thread and then get ****y when someone else does the same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.