Ramshot Grand 300 WM = Velocity!

I'm pretty sure it was the setup of the Garmin I probably had a slight angle between line of fire and the Garmin. At any rate this powder is extremely consistent in my gun. Way better than H1000 but about the same as Magnun which is slightly more accurate in my gun.

The xero is pretty grear,but like the labradar it uses dopplar radar to measure velocity. So when set up ,unless mounted to the object firing the projectile, the projectile is moving away from the xero at an angle. If that angle changes it will affect the reading.

A 25 FPS change is A very small change percentage wise. Less than 1% at the velocity he is shooting. I think thet moving the xero a few inches could cause that change. 1% isn't really that great of an error. It could be eliminated by marking a spot on the bench for the xero and a spot for the bipod/ rest. Still less set up time than a conventional coronagraph.
Understood. 25fps is just what may have happened in this instance. I don't see how incorrect readings is good/consistent/useful..no matter how insignificant you claim it is. Findings noted. Back to the OP.

OP curious if this rifle is new? If you had a load worked up with it before with something else and if so, what were the specifics of that? Be interesting to test it side by side with h1000.

OP curious if this rifle is new? If you had a load worked up with it before with something else and if so, what were the specifics of that? Be interesting to test it side by side with h1000.
Not new, several years old with plenty of rounds down the tube…I've used H1000 a lot, my problem with H1000 is I run out of room with the 200 AB before I get velocity usually around 2800fps.Magnum has been my go to for accuracy and velocity in this gun for awhile now.

I'd like to see a comparison of Grand and RL26 (pixie dust). I'd love to find another powder that has good accuracy, high velocity/no pressure signs and which is available!

First time out with a Seekins 300WM with 26" tube I tried the pixie dust and 200 Accubonds at 76.5, 77.5 and 78.5 at 0.017 of the lands. All 3 loads shot 2 touching and 1/2 to 1" out. Velocities were 3020, 3058, and 3090 with single digit ES and absolutely no signs of pressure. I tried H1000/180 Accubonds with decent accuracy but lower than expected velocity. I was thinking it was a fast tube…but not with H1000 or some old Hornady Heavy Magnum loads that averaged 2850fps with 180s.

Velocity wise, RL26 is frequently 100fps faster than about anything else I've tried. Accuracy has been good to great in most (but not all) applications.

Next time I see some Grand, I'll pick some up to experiment with. I don't have pixie dust to last more than a couple more years at my present pace of usage.

Last edited:
Not new, several years old with plenty of rounds down the tube…I've used H1000 a lot, my problem with H1000 is I run out of room with the 200 AB before I get velocity usually around 2800fps.Magnum has been my go to for accuracy and velocity in this gun for awhile now.
I've heard plenty of instances that H1K just doesn't give the speeds but that's just not what I've found. I mean I know there's powders that yield faster speeds but it has shot plenty fast and accurate in all the rifles I've used it in. At any rate seems like Grand could spice things up a little more?

Midway has some it's pricey
Isn't that the price for powder these days? $45-50/pound? Unless it's some obscure shotgun or pistol powder, those still seem to ba around $35/pound.

$354.99/jug at powder valley--- it's been there for about a week, so they either jave lots of it or people are afraid to try something new.

Recent Posts