Sheep Dream

You should be in for a great time. I worked as a packer on a dall sheep hunt in the Brooks Range with Bristol Bay Outfitters in '08. John Peterson and his guides were great to work with.
Best of luck on your hunt.

Congrats!!

Great to see someone who takes the entire hunt seriously winning such a great opportunity!

Perhaps I missed it but where will you be hunting and what rifle/load will you be using?

I will be in the Brooks range. In the AWNR on the north slope area.
I am using a custom 6.5SS being built by Travis of RBros rifles. It is almost done. I will be using the 150 gr Matrix bullet hopefully the rifle will like them.
I still have a hard time beleiving I won this. I wake up in the middle of the night and smile knowing that I am going sheep hunting!!

Last edited:
Just make sure your feet are good to go, seen more hunts ruined because of feet. sore lungs you can still move on slowly, but blistred feet means no moving on... Enjoy, and i agree take a camera and take as many pics as possible..

Just make sure your feet are good to go, seen more hunts ruined because of feet. sore lungs you can still move on slowly, but blistred feet means no moving on... Enjoy, and i agree take a camera and take as many pics as possible..

I agree feet are the most important part of the hunt.
I should be ok by the time I get to the hunt. My conditioning routine includes many miles with a loaded pack on.

I used the Lowa Bighorn Hunters on my 2013 Dall hunt in the Alaska Range. I found them on Shoebuy.com. They had a great return program and often had 20-25% coupons. I wear a 10.5 in dress shoes but an 11.5 in these.

I'd throw an AccuBond bullet. Great for long range hunting and does the job.

Good luck and congrats!

I used the Lowa Bighorn Hunters on my 2013 Dall hunt in the Alaska Range. I found them on Shoebuy.com. They had a great return program and often had 20-25% coupons. I wear a 10.5 in dress shoes but an 11.5 in these.

I'd throw an AccuBond bullet. Great for long range hunting and does the job.

Good luck and congrats!

The accubond is a good bullet but I am trying Matrix bullets for this rifle. Which by the way I now have it and have started to fireform brass and load development.

Last edited:
If you want to really enjoy it, get into the best shape you can.Go very lightweight , other than clothing and take a compact rifle..just my opinion

Well I thought that a update was in order for those who are interested. My conditioning routine is coming along. Daily hikes with a pack in the 40-42lbs range are paying off as I can feel my body adapting and improving. The recovery time is getting better as well as being sore and hiking the next day. The soreness subsides a lot faster.
My new sheep rifle (6.5SS) has arrived and load development progresses along.
Got to go. Headed out for a great hike this morning. All of it will be up to the top with about 2000 feet vertical.

Well I thought that a update was in order for those who are interested. My conditioning routine is coming along. Daily hikes with a pack in the 40-42lbs range are paying off as I can feel my body adapting and improving. The recovery time is getting better as well as being sore and hiking the next day. The soreness subsides a lot faster.
My new sheep rifle (6.5SS) has arrived and load development progresses along.
Got to go. Headed out for a great hike this morning. All of it will be up to the top with about 2000 feet vertical.

I see that you live in Idaho, so finding a place to go vertical isn't hard for you. I used to live in a flat part of the Midwest before moving to CO. I loaded-up my pack and climbed a local university's stadium on mornings when it was open (was a D1 program at one time, so the stadium was tall). If that wasn't open, the district stadium for the local high school provided an option. Don't forget the tunes, it helps make the time pass.

If anyone hits the gym, the revolving stair master is the best machine in the whole building. It will kick your butt. It will literally simulate climbing stairs.

Found some terrain that simulated sheep country today. Up through it then back down it. It was a good conditioning hike. About 3 miles and 2400 vertical.

Attachments

• Saddle back hike 4-27-2015.jpg
    Saddle back hike 4-27-2015.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 121
I think Kennetreks are just like any other boot, i.e. they have to fit your feet to be comfortable and some folks feet just aren't made for them. For example, I have Salomon's, Crispi's, Danner and Meindl and all fit well. Today I read about a special on Asolo hikers so stopped by Sierra Trading Post to try some on. Well, 50 feet of walking in the store convinced me the Asolo's would not work for me. I had lots of heel slippage which would certainly translate into blisters in short order. That boot just isn't made for my foot. Best suggestion is to see if you can try several different boots or contact Lathrop and Sons for customized foot analysis.

I bought the senergy insoles from Lathrop and Sons. These things are Awsome. I am going to get another pair for my other pair of boots.

34 days to go.
I'm ready. My rifle is ready. My gear is ready.
Just got my Idaho elk and deer tags. When I get back from the sheep hunt I go right into archery elk. I got lucky there to. I got invited to hunt 26,000 acres of private land for 10 days that is prime breeding grounds for elk during the rut.
Sure hope my luck holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.