Sheep Dream

RH300UM you made a comment that Kenetrek boots have ruined sheep hunters feet, can you explain why because I too have a Dall sheep hunt coming up, and I own 2 pairs of Kenetrek boots that I have been hunting and hiking in but have had no issues. Thanks

2 guides I talked with mentioned this is all I can say

Thanks for the quick reply RH300UM, I was shocked because that was the first negative comment I've heard about Kenetrek boots. I've hunted from New Mexico to Alaska and guides are who told me how good Kenetreks are.

Thanks for the quick reply RH300UM, I was shocked because that was the first negative comment I've heard about Kenetrek boots. I've hunted from New Mexico to Alaska and guides are who told me how good Kenetreks are.

I have 3 pairs of kenetrek boots. I really like them. I have used them in everything from the desert to lava rock to shale to granite and what's in between. The only problem I have had is getting to close to the fire and drying them to quick. They shrunk. Getting ready to send one pair back to be resoled. See if the boot size holds true. Some of my buddies boots shrunk with the resole job. That's how I ended up with 3 pairs.

Last edited:
I think Kennetreks are just like any other boot, i.e. they have to fit your feet to be comfortable and some folks feet just aren't made for them. For example, I have Salomon's, Crispi's, Danner and Meindl and all fit well. Today I read about a special on Asolo hikers so stopped by Sierra Trading Post to try some on. Well, 50 feet of walking in the store convinced me the Asolo's would not work for me. I had lots of heel slippage which would certainly translate into blisters in short order. That boot just isn't made for my foot. Best suggestion is to see if you can try several different boots or contact Lathrop and Sons for customized foot analysis.

RH300UM you made a comment that Kenetrek boots have ruined sheep hunters feet, can you explain why because I too have a Dall sheep hunt coming up, and I own 2 pairs of Kenetrek boots that I have been hunting and hiking in but have had no issues. Thanks

I don't think that brand really matters. If you have Kenetrecks that are broken in and comfortable, you should be fine. I once was on a hunt in a pair of Crispi boots. They didn't fit my feet well. They were ok for the first couple of days, then I started getting hot spots. Took a lot of the enjoyment out of the hunt. I know many people think the Scarpas are too rigid, I actually like a more rigid boot, but the break in process took time. I have never owned a boot that has withstood as much abuse.

Got my new pack.. Went out for a shakedown hike with it today..
I like it

Attachments

• pack.JPG
    pack.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 94
Which pack did you get? I have used the Kifaru timberline 2 for the past couple of years. I really like it but there are lighter options. I just ordered an Opticon MM3 compact spotter. Hope it lives up to the hype.

I got the Kuiu Icon Pro 7200. I like it. Going for along hike tomorrow to give it and me more time to see if I can handle what it can carry:)

CONGRATS!!! If you have never been on a sheep hunt physical conditioning and mental toughness are critical. Get with the outfitter and get a gear list and start filling it{the fun part}. If this is a backpack hunt check out articles in the hunting fool or any of the other hunting sites like this one. START A WORKOUT PROGRAM TODAY! If you have to hire an instructor at a local gym to help DO IT. Take a real camera not just a cell phone. Pictures are a lasting reminder of all the things you see and experience. Keep it in a pocket or on your belt. If it is in your pack you will not take very many pictures. To share with my wife and son's I have been keeping a journal during these kinds of trips. They love reading it and sharing what you are feeling and seeing. Enjoy the whole trip, take an extra day or two at each end of the hunt. Small plane flights are often delayed and there are lots of things to see at the major jumping off points. Bring some of your gear in a cooler big enough to hold your horns and cape. Then you can bring it back home with you as baggage and not worry about shipping it. On my Stone hunt I shipped the horns and cape with the outfitter and was a wreck for 2 months while I waited to put my hands on them again. Again Congrats!

CONGRATS!!! If you have never been on a sheep hunt physical conditioning and mental toughness are critical. Get with the outfitter and get a gear list and start filling it{the fun part}. If this is a backpack hunt check out articles in the hunting fool or any of the other hunting sites like this one. START A WORKOUT PROGRAM TODAY! If you have to hire an instructor at a local gym to help DO IT. Take a real camera not just a cell phone. Pictures are a lasting reminder of all the things you see and experience. Keep it in a pocket or on your belt. If it is in your pack you will not take very many pictures. To share with my wife and son's I have been keeping a journal during these kinds of trips. They love reading it and sharing what you are feeling and seeing. Enjoy the whole trip, take an extra day or two at each end of the hunt. Small plane flights are often delayed and there are lots of things to see at the major jumping off points. Bring some of your gear in a cooler big enough to hold your horns and cape. Then you can bring it back home with you as baggage and not worry about shipping it. On my Stone hunt I shipped the horns and cape with the outfitter and was a wreck for 2 months while I waited to put my hands on them again. Again Congrats![/QUOTE]

Great advice!!! I have started my conditioning for this hunt We had a very mild winter this year so I have been able to hike the mountains with a pack on regularly. With this warmer than normal weather I will be commuting to and from work on my bicycle.
I am taking a gopro to film some of the trip as well. I never have been much good at the journal thing so video and pics will be my attempt at it.
What cooler would you recommend? Size? Does it have to be boxed? On the return trip do you us dry ice for the cooling?
The question I have been trying to find a answer for is the back pack. How do I get it there? Checked baggage? In a duffle bag?
Thanks again for the input

You can use a 70qt or larger cooler. If you can get a tape measure on a set of Dall horns that will tell you how deep and tall the interior of cooler needs to be. My old igloo 90qt worked. Anything at least 12" front to back and 12-14" deep should work.
I have not done this in a while but the airline regs only used to specify a weight limit of 70 lbs. per item. Check with them and then pack everything you can in the cooler for the trip up. Carry your nonreplacible items {binos, meds, camera etc in your daypack as a carry on}, Wear you broken in hunting boots! On the way home get your meat frozen. Part of the reason to take some extra time traveling. Every motel I have stayed at was happy to help me get this done. Anchorage has a large freezer at the airport to freeze fish. Seal the cooler with duct tape{no leaks they will throw it away!} and ship anything else home you don't want to pay excess baggage on by ups. If you decide to pack your backpack and use as luggage you must secure all straps so they cant get caught in the baggage system. I also have used plastic wire ties to secure all zippers to keep out curios people. Carry duct tape to seal your rifle or bow case after it is inspected by the airline. It must be lockable to fly. The frozen items should be good for the plane trip home from I would guess Anchorage or Fairbanks. You might be able to use some of that new arctic ice but stay away from dry ice the airlines prohibit its use if I remember right.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.