Savage vs Remington

here take a look, first shot dead on in the center, that's 300 yards, then the rest grouped on the side,.... WHY????

6mmnorma20.jpg

by the way those 4 shots makes 0.38 MOA

another one shot today, group A had a flier Group B I jammed bullets in the lands, it didn't like so its allover, but group C didn't get any significant fliers, other then 3 shots grouped a bit on the side from center line, still less then 0.5"

6mmnorma21.jpg

Today was special day 105 F yesterday it was like 110 for me with coal stove its unthinkable , mirage was allover and I was sweating like pig, had to cool barrel in the car running AC, because I waited 30 minutes outside after firing 5 shots and it was still warm

Last edited:
here take a look, first shot dead on in the center, that's 300 yards, then the rest grouped on the side,.... WHY????

6mmnorma20.jpg

by the way those 4 shots makes 0.38 MOA
First shot cold bore fliers usually mean something is wrong either with the scope mounting or there's a pressure point on the barrel somewhere where it meets the stock.

If it were the scope/mounts you shouldn't however be getting such a nice tight group.

I wouldnt' think that's related to any sort of internal chamber/bore problem.

I'm not that familiar with savages and their barrel nut system but if it were a Remington and there's no issues with barrel float I'd think something is out of square in the action/barrel match up.

That is really weird.
Have you tried something in the 75 or 85 grain size?
I can't get the 105's to shoot good out of mine either. It's a Hart barrel set up for them. The 75 gr VMAX shoots really good out of mine.

another one shot today, group A had a flier Group B I jammed bullets in the lands, it didn't like so its allover, but group C didn't get any significant fliers, other then 3 shots grouped a bit on the side from center line, still less then 0.5"

6mmnorma21.jpg
How much time between shots?

How much time between groups?

Were these after the other target you posted with the one flier and good group? How long after?

All same loads?

Are these off of a lead sled? Bags? Bipod?

Scope mounted on one piece weaver 20 MOA rail, how much time.. wel I starrted at 11 AM and finished it at 4:30 PM and I fired 60 shots, I was waiting for the barrel to feel normal to touch, not warm never hot... Group A & B was fired using 105 gr Barnes Match Burners, which had been sorted and meplat trimmed, between Group B and C I fired 300 yards using group A, after firing first shot on the left, I miss compensated with my adjustments, but decided leave it alone for a sake of the group the 4 shot group measures 1.785" its like 0.6 MOA

6mmnorma22.jpg

Group C was fired at 300 yards as well, in the previous 300 yard image...

Scope mounted on one piece weaver 20 MOA rail, how much time.. wel I starrted at 11 AM and finished it at 4:30 PM and I fired 60 shots, I was waiting for the barrel to feel normal to touch, not warm never hot... Group A & B was fired using 105 gr Barnes Match Burners, which had been sorted and meplat trimmed, between Group B and C I fired 300 yards using group A, after firing first shot on the left, I miss compensated with my adjustments, but decided leave it alone for a sake of the group the 4 shot group measures 1.785" its like 0.6 MOA

6mmnorma22.jpg

Group C was fired at 300 yards as well, in the previous 300 yard image...
.6 MOA is nothing to sneeze at.

You kind of have me confused. On this target were you using the same load as on the group C above?

I really don't see any consistency in the spread, sort of all over vs stringing.

Was the wind steady? Nil? Slightly gusting?

Back to the first target and the first shot cold bore flier. Were you starting with a completely clean barrel?

Were you doing any swabbing/cleaning at all in between the groups?

Is this off of a lead sled or just bipod and bags or just bipod?

What is your trigger pull? Is it crisp? Are you feeling it hit on the over travel if so before or after the round is down range?

wind was 3 - 8 MPH right in the face a bit from the right side, but I had flags setup and I was watching grass all the way. Barrel was clean, but I didn't remove all of the embedded copper, but the first shot was right on center, I had designated target for it, any time I switch from one brand bullet to another I shoot follow shot. I did clean carbon out durring my session it only took 4 swabs with KG-1, after I had clean patch. I didn't clean the copper. There was stringing right after I cleaned carbon out, pictures coming...

Last edited:
After I fired last group using 105 A-Max I tried 100 gr Hornady Interlock BTSP before firing group B i fired one follow shot and group B stringed, group C is also 100 gr BTSP only seated 0.005 off lands and group B jammed in the lands...

6mmnorma23.jpg

the only difference between group b and c would be the brass, grooup b used previously fireformed Norma brass and C virgin Lapua brass, which was sorted prior by weight and headspace same as Norma, sorting process never changes... yeah I cleaned before B

Last edited:
it may sound weird, I was looking for the pattern since I got it, but it feels like barrel is realigning with every shot ... by the way I had competent gunsmith take a pick at it, I was told that barrel/chamber has a hard spot, whatever it supposed to be...

After I fired last group using 105 A-Max I tried 100 gr Hornady Interlock BTSP before firing group B i fired one follow shot and group B stringed, group C is also 100 gr BTSP only seated 0.005 off lands and group B jammed in the lands...

6mmnorma23.jpg

the only difference between group b and c would be the brass, grooup b used previously fireformed Norma brass and C virgin Lapua brass, which was sorted prior by weight and headspace same as Norma, sorting process never changes... yeah I cleaned before B
The Group B here is the only one that shows any real stringing so apparently backing off of the lans solved that.

The rest to me don't show any real consistent issues.

Maybe you are just finding the groove. Now with the group c on the other post.

See if you can repeat it with the same loads or if you are still coming up with the clean/cold bore flier.

If you are, I'd say like most rifles your's just doesn't like to be overly cleaned.

I never carry a clean rifle into the field or zero with it completely clean. I just burn a few rounds after a good cleaning and then get serious.

After that I'll rod it out and put it away with a very light lubing down the bore.

it may sound weird, I was looking for the pattern since I got it, but it feels like barrel is realigning with every shot ... by the way I had competent gunsmith take a pick at it, I was told that barrel/chamber has a hard spot, whatever it supposed to be...
Did he have any suggestions like going back in with a finish reamer? Lapping it again?

I'm like you the "hard spot" is not really telling me anything unless he means theres something of a little bump. If so going back in lightly with a finish reamer and lapping it should solve that issue completely.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.