remington vs savage

IMO, Savage.
There was a time when Remington ruled the roost. They are an American icon. I have read and heard of a few quality and customer support issues with "Big Green" and it seems at times they just don't give a hoot weither you, as an individual buy their rifles on not. It's like "if you don't buy them, someone else will" and if a issue comes up with the rifle "you should be glad you have a Remington". They are classy rifles (if there is such a thing) and have a foot hold in the LR accuracy market, thanks in part to US Snipers/government. (Hey let's use what the snipers use!) Not knocking them one bit. I have owned (still got two) several and they were all pretty darn accurate once I tweaked them (trigger tunes/barrel floats/tailored loads, etc.)
Enter Savage: as I remember it, they started out making accurate rifles. People called and thought of them (me included) as ugly and cheap. They heard the complaints of the cheesy, no support stocks (Tuperware) and the horrible, unadjustable (up to a point) triggers. Riflemen were buying them and replacing the triggers and either sprucing up the stocks with paint and bedding or replacing them. Savage put their fingers on the American rifleman's pulse and did something about it. They seem to want their share of the market and don't mind going above and beyond to get it.
First they came out with the AccuTrigger. Most like it, some don't. It sure as heck beats the old style trigger and you don't have to fork out another $75-100.00 to get an aftermarket trigger. Now they have come up/out with the AccuStock. Their answer to the Tuperware stocks. I have yet to own a Savage with either the new trigger or stock, but I will.
The Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag that I currently own is one accurate beast! I love the laminated stock that came with it. The thought of sending it out for a bedding job was a fleeting thought after I first bought it. That thought quickly left once I shot it. WOW! It's putting three 180gn SMK into one ragged hole at over 3100fps! It had the old style trigger and I have replaced it with a Rifle Basix. What a sweet trigger!
When it comes to buying rifles I now let my experience and head dictate what to buy. Like my ole' beer drinking buddy used to say, "The choice is yours, make it light on yourself". Good luck in your decision. JohnnyK.

They can both be great shooters out of the box. If I had to bet $100 on which one would shoot the best group right out of the box, no doubt I'd put my money on the Savage. The trigger is better!

Beyond the accuracy, the Savage is much easier to work on without the need for a gunsmith (setting headspace, changing barrels, adjusting the trigger etc.).

The Remington is easier to bed (in my opinion). They are also prettier (so what!), the newer Savages are coming from the factory 'prettier' than they used to though.

AJ

Cadillac VS. Geo tracker,and the tracker has an ugly nut between the action and barrel :D gun)

That is one big stretch. The barrel nut bothers some people more than others. To me it just means I don't need a gunsmith when it comes time to rebarrel.

Savage factory barrels are head an shoulders better, the trigger is better, the action looks near identical and gets around the absolute need to be trued by using the floating bolt head.

If you can do a good bedding job you can build a darn good shooting Savage on your reloading bench.

Me thinks you are confused about which is the better rifle in TODAYS market!

Savage may not have the infinite amount of aftermarket parts that Remington has. However, they come in strong in the market with the ability to mix and match barrels, bolt heads, etc. to allow the home gunsmith build what he wants. I have both and I think the Remingtons of today are not what they once were. Remington is sitting fat, dumb and happy with it's large customer base and Cerebrus is all about the bottom line which is unlike Ron Coburn which is listening to it's shooters.

They both have merit but if looking b/t the two, there are other contenders as well that best Remington these days.

:D
That is one big stretch. The barrel nut bothers some people more than others. To me it just means I don't need a gunsmith when it comes time to rebarrel.

Savage factory barrels are head an shoulders better, the trigger is better, the action looks near identical and gets around the absolute need to be trued by using the floating bolt head.

If you can do a good bedding job you can build a darn good shooting Savage on your reloading bench.

Me thinks you are confused about which is the better rifle in TODAYS market!

I just set new barrels on two Rem 700's,im not a gunsmith,and Ill put either of them up against your best shooting savage any day at 500+ yards,Id bet you for rifles but I wouldnt want one of em.Sure they are cheap,sure a retarded spider monkey can get the barrel off,sure the trigger looks cool,none of these things are selling points for me.I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots,I want a rifle that has virtually thousands of over the counter parts/barrels/triggers/stocks/ect.ect.I built a barrel vice,I bought a go/no go guage,a couple new barrel lugs and these rifles are every bit as easy to work on as a Savage,if I remember correctly my savage shooting buddy had to buy a barrel wrench before he could rebarell his brand new Savage that grouped 2" at 100 with every kind of hand load and factory ammo we fed it.If Savages were priced as high as a Rem hardly anyone would buy them,thats a fact that Im sure your not willing to admit but its the truth.You get what you pay for,you can stuff a bad *** motor into a 74 Nova,but it will always be a 74 Nova.I dont give a **** what is going to move on todays market,I grew up wih a Rem in my hand and Ive only had one of the almost 100 I have owned let me down (*** semi auto 22 lr 597 ***),why even consider a brand name that just recently decided to pull it s head out and build something even worht considering if you cant afford a Rem 700?Rem has some newer models that they put out for todays market,in hand they feel like crap,they look like s^%$ and they shoot pretty good,just like a Savage.

Last edited:
Like many others, I have both. My Remington .270 has been in the safe ever since I sighted in the Leupold I mounted on it. That would be well over 20 years ago. I have 3 Savages that I use for whatever type of shooting I am doing. They have always been far better than I am. I recently acquired a custom on a Savage action in 7mm RemMag that I am intending on turning into my LR rifle if I decide to jump into this sport big time. Oh! And the real kicker for me was my being Left eye dominant right handed. Savage at one time was about the only one that paid any attention to us "Leftys". If you are not in that camp then feel very fortunate as there is a whole lot more out there for one to choose from. After all is said and done, neither the animal or the target has a clue what brand rifle that the shot comes from if the shooter does their job correctly. The Savage vs Remington is just like the age old childish game of Ford vs Chevrolet, Coke vs Pepsi, PC vs Mac, etc. Get what you want regardless of what the fan boys in either camp say. Freedom of choice is what makes the country turn. It's about enjoyment, not bragging rights.:D

Like many others, I have both. My Remington .270 has been in the safe ever since I sighted in the Leupold I mounted on it. That would be well over 20 years ago. I have 3 Savages that I use for whatever type of shooting I am doing. They have always been far better than I am. I recently acquired a custom on a Savage action in 7mm RemMag that I am intending on turning into my LR rifle if I decide to jump into this sport big time. Oh! And the real kicker for me was my being Left eye dominant right handed. Savage at one time was about the only one that paid any attention to us "Leftys". If you are not in that camp then feel very fortunate as there is a whole lot more out there for one to choose from. After all is said and done, neither the animal or the target has a clue what brand rifle that the shot comes from if the shooter does their job correctly. The Savage vs Remington is just like the age old childish game of Ford vs Chevrolet, Coke vs Pepsi, PC vs Mac, etc. Get what you want regardless of what the fan boys in either camp say. Freedom of choice is what makes the country turn. It's about enjoyment, not bragging rights.:D

If having a plethora of aftermarket parts avaliable means anything to you then there is no comparison,if you do get serious obout LR hunting then this will come into play,your old 700 rem wont be a safe queen forever,just keep her there till you are ready to get serious.:Dgun)

I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots
The very same reasons I'm shooting a Savage, go figure. I also like not shooting a rifle that doesn't need thousands of aftermarket parts. They do need the stocks swapped out, I'm really liking the Medalist that mine is riding in.

NONYA,
Oh, I hear ya! When I was first introduced to computers I was trained on a Mac. When I decided to get one of my own I went to a computer store to look around at what was available. To my surprise, you could find everything there was for Mac's on a couple of shelves. The entire rest of the store was full of stuff for IBM PCs. So I appreciate your point if one is going to get into swapping or ungrading parts of their chosen rifle. I don't participate at that level. I tend to find someting that fits me, has proven dependable, and is capable of whatever I ask of it. Savage has always met my needs and I have seen no reason to look elsewhere. I have the Remington simply due to buying into the market hype. Either brand produces rifles that are generally far beyond my aged abilities.
Now when I WAS competitive, I bought the best I could get, and expect others do likewise. Still have a Match M1 Garand in my safe that was built by Roland Beavers, a former USMC armorer. But at some point, one has to accept that there are times when we can have a Ferarri but are better suited driving an Oldsmobile:D. Different strokes for different folks. :cool:

:rolleyes: I own both,savage in .308 bull barrel 10fp with HS tactical stock. Worked up loads and she shoots balloons at 500 yrds all day long. I also have a .300 winmag pss that I had customized at Aquila firearms in Texas. TACK DRIVER. However as factory guns go. You cant go wrong with a savage. Definition of accuracy. Rick:D

I just set new barrels on two Rem 700's,im not a gunsmith,and Ill put either of them up against your best shooting savage any day at 500+ yards,Id bet you for rifles but I wouldnt want one of em.Sure they are cheap,sure a retarded spider monkey can get the barrel off,sure the trigger looks cool,none of these things are selling points for me.I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots,I want a rifle that has virtually thousands of over the counter parts/barrels/triggers/stocks/ect.ect.I built a barrel vice,I bought a go/no go guage,a couple new barrel lugs and these rifles are every bit as easy to work on as a Savage,if I remember correctly my savage shooting buddy had to buy a barrel wrench before he could rebarell his brand new Savage that grouped 2" at 100 with every kind of hand load and factory ammo we fed it.If Savages were priced as high as a Rem hardly anyone would buy them,thats a fact that Im sure your not willing to admit but its the truth.You get what you pay for,you can stuff a bad *** motor into a 74 Nova,but it will always be a 74 Nova.I dont give a **** what is going to move on todays market,I grew up wih a Rem in my hand and Ive only had one of the almost 100 I have owned let me down (*** semi auto 22 lr 597 ***),why even consider a brand name that just recently decided to pull it s head out and build something even worht considering if you cant afford a Rem 700?Rem has some newer models that they put out for todays market,in hand they feel like crap,they look like s^%$ and they shoot pretty good,just like a Savage.

Plus 1

As for the trigger thing, my factory remington trigger after ajusting is three time better then that gimic savage triger. just save your money alittle longer and get a remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts