Savage vs Remington

matt_3479

My younger brother is in the midst of purchasing a new rifle. It will either be chambered in a 223. rem or 243. win. This gun will be used for coyotes and small game. Targets for sure. It will be his introduction into long range hunting and shooting. This rifle will start out for shots on targets out too 500-600 yards till we set up new targets and hopefully push it back too 800-1000 hopefully. This rifle will stay factory for a while but will eventually be custom.

i have always had great luck with remington as for my (starter into long range) remington 700 sps varmint 243. win (factory) shooting federals 80 grain sp shoots better then 1/2 moa out too 300 yards and i have only taken it out too 400 and 500 yards once and it was so hot i could only fire 2 shot groups which at 500 yards was a 2 shot 1 1/2" group and another 2 shot 2" group.

I have read great things about savages and that is the main reason my brother wants to try savage. He wants to be able to compete with me at ranges out too 500-600 yards till we both move on to better greater things, Custom gun work. I love my remington and suggest them to anyone but i would really like to see a savage preform.

I own 2 remingtons and a browning and love them all. All preform well under moa out too 300 yards (haven't practiced enough past that to really test it but will be).

Would you suggest a 223 remington or a 243. winchester in a Remington model 700 or Savage model (10,11, or 12) for a starter into long range shooting and hunting. The rifle will be factory and will be used on coyote sized game and smaller (243. win will be used on deer as well) and will be taken out too 500-600 yards.

If you want to try a Savage, just pick up a Stevens in 243...at less than $300 it's a Savage for half price.

TC

Last edited:
I drive a Ford. Neighbor on my left side drives a Chevy. Neighbor on the other side drives a Dodge.

Pick the one that suits your needs the best. Chances are, you won't be disappointed either way.

Whichever way you go, I recommend the 243 (probably my favorite cal), quite a bit more versatility with the 6mm. Between the Remmy & the Savage...:rolleyes: you might as well flip a quarter. Although you can do a rebarrel on the Savage yourself.... which may help you down the road as you were talkin about some custom work.

I have 4 Savages & 3 Remingtons, all do their job & all are great rifles, find the one that fits best & let'er rip.

Lately I have better luck with Remington, the last two model 12 Savage I got one target another varmint had to many issues, they couldn't even put the right stock on the replacement they send me...

Between the two shoices I'd say go with the Rem.

Let me throw you a ringer in though.

Give the CZ's a look. The most accurate out of the box factory rifles I've ever had my hands on are the CZ's.

I've killed coyotes to 800yds walking and on a flying run out to 580 with my 527 in .204 Ruger. All with Hornady factor ammo!

I've found the .204 to be the best overall varminter I've ever shot, and that includes years of experience with .17 rem, 220 Swift, and 22-250.

I've got over 2,500 rds through the CZ now and I have treated it badly with only cleaning it every hundred or so rounds and carrying it in the truck daily.

I finally cleaned it up completely, sent it to my GS and asked him to give it a good check up. After his report I sent the findings to CZ.

Throat and chamber still in excellent shape.

So I stripped it down, have sent it off to be cerakoted, and will put it in a nice Mcmillian varmint stock when it comes home.

If/when I shoot it out finally I'll put a Kreiger 28" fluted SS barrel with a sendero taper, and shoot it another decade or so.

I've shot thirty or so of the CZ's now quite a bit and they just rock!

I also have Remington, Savage, Ruger, Howa... They all shoot good since I've done some tweaking in them all.

Now the "but".

But if you want a higher percentage for a shooter out of the box then go with the Savage.

If you want looks better than accuracy then go with any of the other ones...

Give the CZ's a look.
I have never owned a CZ but from all the reading I've done, that's an excellent advice and the Lord willing I'll
get me one some day! :)

Last edited:
I also have Remington, Savage, Ruger, Howa... They all shoot good since I've done some tweaking in them all.

Now the "but".

But if you want a higher percentage for a shooter out of the box then go with the Savage.

If you want looks better than accuracy then go with any of the other ones...

I have never owned a CZ but from all the reading I've done, that's an excellent advice and the Lord willing I'll
get me one some day! :)
Or get it all in one along with a very reasonable price.

2751855cddef71da8949b35a7a75e2d3.png

Mine's just the "budget model 527 Varmint .204 Ruger.

CZ-USA -> CZ 527 American

The fully adjustable single set trigger is the thing dreams are made of once you learn to shoot it.

I have a predjudice here and I admit it. I'm good freinds with the CEO who is a customer of mine.

Still wouldn't recommend her guns however unless I was convinced of the quality.

I've bought 13 of them.

I regularly shoot factory class competition, 200 and 300 yard Egg Shoots. Five years ago first place wins were dominated by Remingtons. For the last couple of years Savage has completely taken over and the scores are significantly higher. The sample is pretty big with about 20-30 shooters,more than a dozen matches a year. The general feeling from most of the shooters is that the Savage trigger is better,the barreled action with the floating bolt head behaves like a trued action, and the barrels are pretty good. Being a Remington die hard, I broke down a while back and bought a couple of Savages. I'm now a convert as well, and my scores are definitely better.

In the past few years, Savage did get their image up, you can thank their marketing department probably reading this and preparing to counterstrike just like on many other forums, well its their tactics and they are getting paid for it and someone out there in the factory who was watching for quality. This year I wasted my money on their 2 high end models 12 LRP and 12 LRPV, both full of defects and wouldn't group less then 1.5". Guess what, I don't buy their definition of accuracy slogan...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.