I won't shoot anything other than the family
of Hevishot shotgun shells
I love their mid and extended range choke
tubes as well

I won't shoot anything other than the family
of Hevishot shotgun shells
I love their mid and extended range choke
tubes as well
Their new HeviX is the most cost effective long range load on the Planet for Waterfowl. Just wish they made it in 10ga, I would throw my Mec away.

I agree Orange. For the money, you could never buy a more effective
premium waterfowl load than Hevi X. It is amazing how cleanly
you can take both ducks and geese

Patterning is important but also starting with a quality choke helps.
I use the Hevishot family of waterfowl chokes. Both the mid and
extended range chokes work great out of my Remington and Benelli

I have a Remington 870 express super magnum 12 gauge 3 1/2" that has a modified choke and im not sure if that is a good choke to use for duck hunting. Most of my hunting consists of big game and varmints so I don't have a lot of experience with waterfowl. I will mainly use this gun for ducks and will be shooting Winchester xpert hi velocity steel shot #2. Thanks for the help
I'll just start with you are using the perfect shell I just prefer 4s and 2 are good also.
I am a freak and pattern my guns.
I Don't know what your shooting for distance or set up. Super controlled decoy.....I shoot a full my buddies IC maybe modified.
Pass shooting same for me most buddies shoot a modified.
Jump shooting creeks small ponds same for me most shoot IC

I have a Remington 870 express super magnum 12 gauge 3 1/2" that has a modified choke and im not sure if that is a good choke to use for duck hunting. Most of my hunting consists of big game and varmints so I don't have a lot of experience with waterfowl. I will mainly use this gun for ducks and will be shooting Winchester xpert hi velocity steel shot #2. Thanks for the help
I shoot Mod. for everything.

I agree that not all chokes with the same designation are created equal. The specific load should be tested to be sure of the best pattern for a given range. Too tight a choke can blow a steel shot pattern. I have had best results with more open chokes.
Absolutely correct on this! /\ /\

We are serious duck hunters down here in South Louisiana.
Tight chokes for lead shot were/are great for nice tight patterns.
Steel shot act differently.
Too tight of a choke will bounce steel shot off each other and throw flyers everywhere. We have done pattern tests and found that the modified to improved cylinder chokes work better and create great patterns.
We did side by side tests of many brands of custom chokes and most are very good.
Several of us settled on Carlson Mid-Range chokes. They are very affordable and are made for several shotgun manufacturers and pattern with the best for "all around" hunting....(duck with steel, dove, rabbit and squirrel with various sized lead shot and power loads)

**NOTE** I strongly suggest NOT using ported chokes.
They pattern great but your buddy will hate you and throw you out of the blind!