Duck hunting

ccsykes

This isn't long range hunting but taking two knew people hunting is always exciting for me, especially when it is their first time hunting a particular species. This week happened to be two separate duck hunts, one a public land impoundment draw hunt and the second, a private land swamp/flooded timber hunt. First, a 58 year old gentleman who has never killed a duck before. I want to remind everyone, this is NC where we are hunting, not the potholes on the prairies or the bayous of the gulf coast, our main bird is the wood duck. After setting up before sunrise and watching hundreds if wood ducks flying around like gnats, the fellow that sat up 75 yards behind us left around 0815. At 0900, my new hunter shot his first duck, a big drake widgeon.

Second trip: had a 14 year old and his father come down for a scouting trip and we went hunting the following morning. I have never seen anything beside wood ducks in the swamp/flooded timber but they have always dropped in for the perfect easy shots. I figured this would be a great opportunity for this kid to get his first shot on a duck, so imagine how surprise, in over 15 years of hunting here, I was when I saw this:

Overall, these two guys each shot a trophy bird for their first duck ever. I couldn't be more happy with each of these hunts and it is definitely special that these were the two birds they start off with here in NC.

And that young man will vote pro gun for the rest of his long life. Good on you ,,,
keep up the good work!

Went out by myself this morning for a quick hunt. Shot a triple then finished off with a pair of mallards before having to leave after 45 mins. Overall, a fantastic morning with the double barrel.

Woodies! not what I expect to see in a January duck photo:) I was down on the eastern shore of Va last week shooting Cans, Redheads and BB's. Nice shoot in 45 mins!!

Gene R

Gene, wood ducks here are like mosquitos, that's our most plentiful duck. Big ducks are a plus, but I have seen and shot more big ducks this year than the last 15 years. Timber is full of both mallards and wood ducks right now and the impoundments have the mix bag of gaddys, widgeon, blacks, mallards, ring necks, and teal.

It's great depending on your butcher and another thing is decent is duck sausage for home made pizza. Quite popular in northen Italy and southern Austria and France of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.