Sea duck hunting outfitter NW Washington?

MTGunner

Looking for a reputable sea duck outfitter near Seattle. I have a recomendation for an outfitter near Port Townsend, WA, but my gosh is he $$$$. I,m not looking to break the bank, just get a two day hunt for perhaps harlequin. MTG

Several years ago I got the sea duck bug. I live in Idaho so I figured WA was close and it would be easy logistically. I researched Peninsula Sportsman outfitters, I suspect that's who you are looking at, (why you would just type their name who knows).
Anyway I spoke to several past hunters including 2 serious sea duckers who had hunted there and Alaska and RI or Maine. They all ranked it as the lesser hunt in their experience. Common complaints was the extreme limits on shooting enforced by their guide. Make sure you get it in writing that you can shoot your limit. I suggest you talk to several past hunters. Especially serious hunters.

I followed their advise and went to Alaska. Much larger number of ducks around, plus larger limits, for example you can kill 1 Harlequin in WA and 4 in Alaska. I shot all the ducks I wanted and because of better limits and larger numbers of ducks, I was able to select which male to shoot and then pick the best example to mount. For example I let 4 Harlequin fly by the decoys in a tight bunch as they do. I let them go because one was a hen and I wanted Drakes. Easy to do in Alaska because more will be by in minutes to an hour. Not so in Washington where you couldn't shoot because the limit is 1, and who knows if you will see more.

Sea Ducks are my favorite ducks. Great terrain and total environment compared to any puddle duck hunt I have either been on or heard of. I think your on the right track by looking into this.

I hunted with Peninsula Sportsman and had a great time. He is a little bit more pricey than some but it was worth it. If you want high volume shooting go someplace else. If you want to collect "trophy" ducks then this is your guy. He will spend all day getting you that perfect mature bird. After that I went ahead and shot my limits.

I use this guy for my taxidermy work. These are the birds I took on my trip. My birds are the Harlequin on the rock and the flying Whitewing and Oldsquaw. Second Row

Avian Arts DFW Dallas Texas Bird Taxidermy

Could I ask you what guide service you hunted with in Alaska and where you went? Thank you
Several years ago I got the sea duck bug. I live in Idaho so I figured WA was close and it would be easy logistically. I researched Peninsula Sportsman outfitters, I suspect that's who you are looking at, (why you would just type their name who knows).
Anyway I spoke to several past hunters including 2 serious sea duckers who had hunted there and Alaska and RI or Maine. They all ranked it as the lesser hunt in their experience. Common complaints was the extreme limits on shooting enforced by their guide. Make sure you get it in writing that you can shoot your limit. I suggest you talk to several past hunters. Especially serious hunters.

I followed their advise and went to Alaska. Much larger number of ducks around, plus larger limits, for example you can kill 1 Harlequin in WA and 4 in Alaska. I shot all the ducks I wanted and because of better limits and larger numbers of ducks, I was able to select which male to shoot and then pick the best example to mount. For example I let 4 Harlequin fly by the decoys in a tight bunch as they do. I let them go because one was a hen and I wanted Drakes. Easy to do in Alaska because more will be by in minutes to an hour. Not so in Washington where you couldn't shoot because the limit is 1, and who knows if you will see more.

Sea Ducks are my favorite ducks. Great terrain and total environment compared to any puddle duck hunt I have either been on or heard of. I think your on the right track by looking into this.