Rifle export to New Zealand

Steve7mm08

I am looking at buying a decent 7MM08 for general hunting here in NZ and have a couple of options that I am considering

1- Buy a Remington Alaskan Titanium (Does anyone know how good the Bell and Carson stocks are on these)

2- Get a custom 7MM08 built (ie Shawn Carlock Sheephunter type for example)

Do you guys know any Remington agents in the USA that would send overseas, no one stocks the Alaskans here

Cheers, Steve

Well if you ask me, the Alaskan Ti is WAY overpriced. What are you really getting for your money? A factory barrelled action and a $150 stock. It still needs a trigger job and possibly more accurizing work. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you could put together a custom for not too much more money.

I would definitely not bother with the export hasle for a factory rifle.- Apart from that, I dont know how much the ti remington costs, but if I were you I woud go for a custom rifle.

As for the export, the remington agents wont do that. You need an import-export company that receives the rifle, prepares the paperwork and sends it to you after you have provided them with your import license.

I once spoke to this people as recommended by Surgeon rifles.-<I never got to buy a rifle so can´t say anything about their service but they were nice on the phone and seemed to be used to dealing with rifles.

Denise Tiffany
PH: 406 228 4867
Big Valley Gun Works
527 2nd Ave. N.
Box 22
Glasgow, MT 59230

i do it alll the time if you want me to bring something in to nz for you pm me

I have to agree that the Alaskan is over priced for what you get and the accuracy is average at best. The stock is not bad but again it is just average. I don't know about exported prices but comparing prices state side to custom rifle prices a "Sheep" rifle would run about 600.00 more not very much for what you getting compared to the Alaskan.

Thanks for the replies.

Shawn, are you able to email me some better pics of previous Sheep hunter builds and a list of what calibres you recommend?

Currently I use a Tikka T3 laminated/stainless 7mm08 for my walkaround rifle but would like something a bit different, classy and yet still practical.

I am open to a calibre change but would prefer to stay within the 7mm diameter.

Ultimately I would like this gun to be good to 600yds in good conditions, I would still need it for bush stalking and carrying big distances so barrell length would be restricted to 24 inches.

Can you still get Borden stocks? I had a read on their website and they say they only use them on their own custom guns (rimrock or rimfire stocks)

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve, your other options are to use an NZ gunsmith. Tracey Short (Deadeye dick) had advertised a 0.5 moa guarantee for some of his rifles at one stage. He seemed to be using Nesika actions and Shilen barrels.
I am getting Gabe Zigliani (High Country Sport) to rebarrel my Rem 3006 to 7 mm Rem mag using a 26 inch Trueflite Ultra match barrel.
Barnard actions made in NZ are very good and have a number of different options.

Stu.

Hi Steve, your other options are to use an NZ gunsmith. Tracey Short (Deadeye dick) had advertised a 0.5 moa guarantee for some of his rifles at one stage. He seemed to be using Nesika actions and Shilen barrels.
I am getting Gabe Zigliani (High Country Sport) to rebarrel my Rem 3006 to 7 mm Rem mag using a 26 inch Trueflite Ultra match barrel.
Barnard actions made in NZ are very good and have a number of different options.

Stu.

Hi Stu
I am a bit wary of Tracy Short as I have had a few mates that are less than happy with him after having rifles built.
Rebarrelling is a good option but I don't have the donor action, would prefer to stick to Mod 700 action but its not worthwhile buying a new rifle just for the action.

Hi Steve,
I had a 6.5x55 Ackley built on a barnard S action and I am very happy with it. It was built by Tony Halberg and John Hastie, these guys are very good smiths. this rifle consistently shoots around the .300'' mark at 100 yards.
The Barnard S action with the magazine would be a good choice with a mcmillan edge stock or similar, and with a good barrel would get you well past 600 yards!
I would also stick with the 7mm-08 cartridge in a 24'' spout, it will still easily kill at that range. Stepping up to say a 280 Rem in that barrel length will just make more muzzle blast and noise without a huge increase in performance.

Jared

Last edited:
PM sent !

You will get a great build from your personal pick of the smiths on this board. Add import costs and I think you will be suprised how cheap it will be from the US to NZ.
I can only speak personally of Shawn Carlocks work and he builds a rifle that shoots like nothing I have ever seen !

Good luck

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.