Rifle Bedding Question

Sorry you had to modify a new gun like that. I'll be on your side saying that those screws should not be touching the pillars. I have several rifles from varying companies but with proper bedding the screws drop right in and I spin them in with my fingers. None of my bedded guns require any kind of bolt screw manipulation to get them to thread, that was definitely a flaw with your gun. Glad you got it to shoot, .75in with factory ammo isn't half bad. Now time to reload and get that group together.

Is that a hs presicion stock? Either way your barrel should not have any bedding touching it anywhere! I'd hog all it out and bed the whole action and the recoil lug and then dremel away the area that will be touchung the barrel. Some people bed the first inch or so of the barrel and this isn't recommended. Especially if you don't want to string shots as the barrel warms. Also, contrary to popular believe, don't tape the recoil lug anywhere while bedding! I've been told by a very good smith that if it doesn't take you a while to get the gun apart after screws are removed its not bedded right! It should take some work, which means the stock and gun are tight. What size groups are you getting?
Joe there are lots of people doing it both ways with great success. The chamber area is very slow to heat up compared to the rest of the barrel anyhow.

Some support under the chamber makes sense from a stress perspective and it changes the barrel harmonics. Some shoot better and some shoot worse with it and with some it seems to make little or no difference at all.

Not according to my gunsmith which builds custom rifles that many locals win matches with. He told me that it's a big deal in the sense of causing stringing as it heats. If it's touching the barrel the poi will rise as the barrel heats. I don't know if there's any way around that. Yes if it's a hunting rifle it may not make a difference as you'll be shooting 1-5 shots max. Not trying to argue just trying to take knowledge from someone that knows way more about this then I ever will as its his career.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.