Bedding one piece base question

Anakalypto

Question: have a long action and when tightening down the front of the rail the gap at the back between the top of the action and the bottom of the rail is about 0.055. Is that too much to fill with JB Weld? Trying to decide if a steel shim is needed instead. Have bedded smaller gaps, but nothing this large. Would prefer to bed and have read that up to 1/16th thick is ok but it seems like a lot of material to me...

Thanks in advance. gun)

Sounds like a bunch, maybe bent? Machining will move it some but .055 is like it came from cold roll. Action might have seen a tad too long on the scotch brite wheel too.
My NF base had maybe .010 on the high end. I just used a little bedding compound and pressed it down with my fingers to set it then a screw just touching on one end.

Sounds like a bunch, maybe bent? Machining will move it some but .055 is like it came from cold roll. Action might have seen a tad too long on the scotch brite wheel too.
My NF base had maybe .010 on the high end. I just used a little bedding compound and pressed it down with my fingers to set it then a screw just touching on one end.
Everything is good and straight, it's an older Savage flat back and I think you're right it spent too much time on the sander. I may try another base to be sure it's not a flaw in the base too. It's a budget build for a light hunting gun so I'm trying to keep the cost down but I can't mount a scope like it is so I will need to come up with a solution.

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the thickness of the bedding, that stuff is super hard. Devcon is probably a bit tougher so you could use that if you're worried. As long as you have enough thread engagement on the screws after bedding it I'd say go for it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the thickness of the bedding, that stuff is super hard. Devcon is probably a bit tougher so you could use that if you're worried. As long as you have enough thread engagement on the screws after bedding it I'd say go for it.

Thanks buddy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.