Bedding question

DXHI

Guys I'll eventually get a heavier contour barrel on my 300 RUM.. But right now the factory sporter is still good. I am however wanting to but in a better stock (manners)
If I do this ... Bed it.. When I eventually get the heavier contour will I have to rebed ? Or just plan on getting a new stock all together.

I would like to do this in phases since it money is tight and my barrel is still good.

Most don't bed the barrel so as long as the contour fits in the barrel channel you won't have to rebed. Some like to bed 2-3" of the barrel and if you do so then its rebed time. I wouldn't do the barrel personally especially if you will be replacing.

I've always stopped at the recoil lug so swapping the floated barrel would cause no issues, if the barrel channel were properly relieved.

If you add a heavier recoil lug when you rebarrel as most do you'll have to grind out around the existing lug recess and redo it, other than that you're probably good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.