Ream up 7mm-08 to 284win

98s1lightning

Does a barreled action have to be disassembled for a gunsmith to convert a 7mm-08 gun up to 284win?

I always thought the barrel would have to be removed and chucked in the lathe to be reamed but I don't know anything about it.

The barrel would need to be removed. Feed alterations would need to be done, because of the difference in case size. "Factory" barrels are generally not worth the cost re-chambering. The 'cost' should not be a 'cut and dried' numbers, much depends upon condition of the barrel as determined by the gunsmith. It would need to be bore scoped to determine condition and how much work would be involved. More info than "it's a stainless gun" is needed.

The barrel would need to be removed. Feed alterations would need to be done, because of the difference in case size. "Factory" barrels are generally not worth the cost re-chambering. The 'cost' should not be a 'cut and dried' numbers, much depends upon condition of the barrel as determined by the gunsmith. It would need to be bore scoped to determine condition and how much work would be involved. More info than "it's a stainless gun" is needed.
This!

Many years ago I quoted a re-chamber of a Hart barrel from 6.5mm X UM to .264 Win Mag. What a mistake! Cut it off twice (was asked to leave it as long as possible) and still badly fire cracked bore that the .264 reamer was not going to clean-up! It was like starting from "scratch" with a new blank. New thread, counter bore (Rem 700), and cut the chamber. Made that quote over the phone. I learned a valuable lesson, have it in hands for examination before an ESTIMATE.

Start with a new barrel. Action and feed rails can be adjusted for the new cartridge while the barrel is off. I have performed this several times in the past. No customer had any complaints.

True..but can be done....
Or just buy a bolt.....
Think I'd buy a bolt...
Have replaced two on my rifles...