Ream .221 rem. fireball to .222?

It can be done, just spin on a new barrel and chamber it for 222 but why the heck would you want to? There is effectively no performance difference and I have trouble believing there are very many 221 FBs with shot out barrels.

I wasn't clear that I meant reaming the existing chamber. Figured it would not only save $, but I could keep the same fluted unusual-contour barrel and not mess with the stock of my Remington LVSF.
I own two .221 Fireballs, a Cooper that shoots great - as it should - and that Remington which shows potential but I just haven't found that perfect load for yet. Just have an "itch" for a .222; kind of a bucket list thing. Had originally planned on snagging one of those imported Mex-market .222 CZ Varmints before they were gone, but health issues and life got in the way.
Also, if I would do a total re-barrel, might as well go with a faster twist rate of at least 1:12", so I can try the 53 gr. V-Max bullets.

Pretty sure the case taper for 221, 222 & 223 is almost if not the same. 222 should in theory clean up the 221 chamber as the <.004 difference in shoulder diameter would fall closer to the case head (along the same taper). It would be a big gamble because of reamer and existing chamber tolerance.
As Dean2 said the AI version of either would work just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.