Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Time is your friend , ButterBean . In a few days or weeks things will change for them and they won't be as cautious as they are at this time . There have been a lot of things going on for them right now , bunch's of people out and about , breading season , finding a place to set up house keeping and raise the kids , lower numbers then in the fall and the ones that haven't been killed have had a chance to do some learning and aren't as ready to throw caution to the wind and just charge in as they were when they were younger pups just leaving home and hungry , they now have learned some about feeding themselves , some of them have been called shot at and now move a little slower toward those sounds circling around down range to see what they can figure out about that sound and what might be in store for them .

Time is your friend , ButterBean . In a few days or weeks things will change for them and they won't be as cautious as they are at this time . There have been a lot of things going on for them right now , bunch's of people out and about , breading season , finding a place to set up house keeping and raise the kids , lower numbers then in the fall and the ones that haven't been killed have had a chance to do some learning and aren't as ready to throw caution to the wind and just charge in as they were when they were younger pups just leaving home and hungry , they now have learned some about feeding themselves , some of them have been called shot at and now move a little slower toward those sounds circling around down range to see what they can figure out about that sound and what might be in store for them .
i know your right, I still enjoy the challenge and just being outdoors

I feel your pain ButterBean also. I have actually been watching what is most likely a breeding pair for about a week now. It's just been way too miserable to be outside long enough to get them. They've been hanging around about a mile from the house here and can scope them with the binos about everyday. The downside is it's not always the same times. Since I know my shooting, and calling abilities aren't the best my plan is too set up and wait them out to snipe the first one without calling. Doubt I'll be able to pull off a double, then next day or two try to call the second back in when it comes looking for its mate. That's the plan anyway lol if the weather will ever allow it.

And that sir is as it should be ButterBean ! 74honker try for the smaller of the two at this time of the year as you want the female if she's with pups so that then you will not cause yourself more problems down the road with a single parent trying to feed a bunch of hungry mouths and it will not be so urgent for you to get the other one to stop it from killing some thing that it shouldn't . Just my observations .

Last edited:
And that sir is as it should be ButterBean ! 74honker try for the smaller of the two at this time of the year as you want the female if she's with pups so that then you will not cause yourself more problems down the road with a single parent trying to feed a bunch of hungry mouths and it will not be so urgent for you to get the other one to stop it from killing some thing that it shouldn't . Just my observations .
That's exactly the plan. I remember your previous posts on this. I never knew before and am definately paying attention to the teacher/teachers on this subject lol. There is a definate size and color difference between the two and the smaller which I'm assuming is the female is always in the lead.

Shot two coyotes today, 1st one a female in heat, took 15 min or more to come in used breeding vocalizations she came from a ways off but she was going to kick the *** of the two females fighting on the caller, at 70 yards she was still full tilt, took 3-4 barks to stop her. Ka-Pow in the chest no exit. Spotted what I assume looked like a male a mile away on the top of a hill on downwind side, drove around and had to walk better than a 1/2 mile bumped a coyote on the way, no shot even though I was 200 yards away, coyote ran so original target did not see it. I was within 400 yards but could not see it so set up with bipod and started to lip squeak, couple minutes later coyote came running over the hill, bark stopped it at 150 yards before it hit my wind, one shot and drt male, was rubbed very bad, eagles need to eat also. Give them a day and he will be gone, both bald and goldens here, lots of them......good day, saw quite a few.........

Shot two coyotes today, 1st one a female in heat, took 15 min or more to come in used breeding vocalizations she came from a ways off but she was going to kick the *** of the two females fighting on the caller, at 70 yards she was still full tilt, took 3-4 barks to stop her. Ka-Pow in the chest no exit. Spotted what I assume looked like a male a mile away on the top of a hill on downwind side, drove around and had to walk better than a 1/2 mile bumped a coyote on the way, no shot even though I was 200 yards away, coyote ran so original target did not see it. I was within 400 yards but could not see it so set up with bipod and started to lip squeak, couple minutes later coyote came running over the hill, bark stopped it at 150 yards before it hit my wind, one shot and drt male, was rubbed very bad, eagles need to eat also. Give them a day and he will be gone, both bald and goldens here, lots of them......good day, saw quite a few.........
Your on Fire

Saw a dozen these two were just opportune the female had a male with her but he circled up hill and as soon as I shot her he went over rise and no amount of kiyis would bring him back. She was a young coyote but the male I shot later was older. This area has yielded 25 coyotes for me and still see 6-12 any time I go there. They are very attuned to calling and normally do not respond, she just couldn't resist the female breeding fight. I stalked another female and got within 400 yards tried lip squeaks, no go, tried female howl she got up and ran, I guess she knew all about that.......see what I mean about calling not always good here. See why I stalk also in order to keep my tool box of tricks working? Of the 25 I bet 20 were spot and stalk, 5 called.

I have to really wonder how many coyotes % wise in an area, do not respond to calling.....by this time of the year..I would say it is high......keep in mind, late Oct-Nov-early Dec results were pretty good, now we deal with the ones who took the college course on "bullet avoid-ment"...……... :rolleyes: ;) Always get a kick out of a person that's on TV and every time he kills a coyote he says "that's one more calf killer out of the population"...like we are really making a difference….by my findings in a 3.5 mile by 5 mile area with 25 coyotes killed and I can still see 6-12 on any given day, and you know I am not seeing them all...(also a rancher shot a breeding pair with his 223 when he was feeding this weekend, he texted me to come pick them up)...what dent are we really putting in them? And I am killing a lot higher % in this area than a "hit and run" caller that shows up a couple times a year...…..there already was one of those in this area I am talking about and I know the guy. All I know is in good country, when you take them out within a week or so some new ones move in as it is top country for a coyote to make a living in it.

We will have to wait for CSI-Why-Dam -O-Ming to show up with some tid bits of knowledge to bait us with...….. ;)

Last edited:
Keep up the good work Reemty. You're obviously in a very target rich environment lol. I do agree with you that when you knock a few out more will be back shortly to take thier place.

back when I lived in the "old Country" Mini-Dam-soda.....we had sections that were prime fox habitat....we would kill a pair, and a week or more later there would be new ones to occupy it. Those sections were always good for hunting fox as they were always sought after from the fox world as great residence also.