Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I have shot one 20 years ago in Canada...……..but that one yesterday was a huge gift from HIM and I should have crawled high enough to clear the rise before he got too close, my fault, no brains no head ache :rolleyes: ;) the fellow that shot him is a good guy and the fellow that called me is a Great guy......been friends for 20 years.....Bruce is his name, hell of a hunter both these two. My skinner showed up in the afternoon, he is a great hunter too......there are some real stand outs here in our community of 2500......I am lucky to call them friends!!

All of us have been lions hunters with hounds, cutting track, jumping ahead, its all second nature. If you added up just the lion hunting years for each individual involved, it would be a number of years higher than 115 and I am =one of the lowest years with 10, I had hounds 10 years was in on 59 lions treed.....3 of the others would have me beat bad! Wolf tracking/following up is same way as lions...…….try to short cut the track, do the same thing with coyotes at times in certain areas. ol Walt wrote a book called the white pages, he was talking about reading sign in the snow, you can get into an animals mind by paying attention to what the tracks and sign tell you, Professor Sheetz of CSI WHY-Dam -O -Ming can vouch for that!! 👍 🤝 ☝️ ;)

Reemty , Yes this is so true . We know that you need to study and learn from the animals we wish to hunt . We also know that if we will allow others that have done this in the past that they can help us to learn and can shorten the amount of time it takes us to get better at what it is we want to learn . So now then Reemty lives in a different part of the world then I do but he still has knowledge that applies to what I want to know . Maybe he has only hunted lion but there are still some things that will cross over from that type of hunting to my type of hunting maybe he has hunted coyote in Montana , Canada and Texas there are things that coyote hunting will have in common in all of those areas that will apply to hunting coyote in my area so then I will do good by myself , and the coyote , if I study what it is he is offering me as information about his hunting successes and failures in his areas of hunting and then I will then glean what I can from that information and thus become a better hunter and person for it .

In my 36 plus years of doing control work I have been blessed to have been allowed to harvest a few thousand predators and thus feel that I have saved a couple hundred thousand head of livestock and wildlife's lives . Among us there are those that are by far and away better at calling , hunting and trapping then I could ever dream of being . These usually are humble quiet people that are very willing to set , have a coffee and visit with you . When they feel that you are genuinely serious about wanting to learn from them I have found that most of them are extremely willing to help you out . At an early age I figured out that I was able to learn from nearly every body and every thing if I just let them teach me .

In my 36 plus years of doing control work I have been blessed to have been allowed to harvest a few thousand predators and thus feel that I have saved a couple hundred thousand head of livestock and wildlife's lives . Among us there are those that are by far and away better at calling , hunting and trapping then I could ever dream of being . These usually are humble quiet people that are very willing to set , have a coffee and visit with you . When they feel that you are genuinely serious about wanting to learn from them I have found that most of them are extremely willing to help you out . At an early age I figured out that I was able to learn from nearly every body and every thing if I just let them teach me .
I learned at an early age that it's hard to learn anything if your mouth is open

To this day I enjoy studying and observing predators of all types doing what they do to live their lives . When you see a bird of prey take flight and drop down on a mouse that was running 20 to 50 feet away maybe under a few inch's of snow you have to be amazed at what it took for that to happen . You can see a fox or coyote trotting along suddenly stop cock it's head to one side then the other and then creep forward a few feet to do it again then pounce on and hit a mouse or other rodent with their front feet how can you not be impressed by that ? It always makes me have goose bumps to watch a cat of any type hunting and stalking prey . The amount of time they take and the slowness of their movements crouched down lower mussels all tensed like springs . You may see them move their foot and start to set it down and then slowly move it back and to the side so as not to set it down on some unseen object to us that they never took their eyes off of their prey but some how knew was there . I can't help but admire that and be in wonder of it .

So then it is time for me to set back and listen to you guys for a couple of minutes as I want to absorb some from you all .