Pressure canning

Pa.Frank

Just before COVID, the better half decided to get into pressure canning. So I bought her a 23 qt pressure caner and the fun began.
Well a friend gave me an extra deer and we decided to cut it up for canning.
from what she tell me, you need to remove ALL the fat from the meat if you plan on putting it up for any length of time or it will eventually go rancid, so it was a TON of prep work. she is super picky and the tinyest piece of fat was cut away and discarded.
So you have 80 pounds give or take of stew meat and she raw packed it in the canning jars, with the various spices you would use for cooking.. for example a quart canning jar full of meat with a couple generous slices of onion, a few cloves of garlic, salt and pepper.
Now I gotta admit, I have never been a fan of Whitetail deer meat. All I have ever harvested was mountain deer and they pretty much tasted like the north woods I scraped off my boots. so it was almost always chili. I'm told farm country deer are better but i have never been so fortunate.
Now gotta tell you about a month or so later, she decided to make a stew and used one of the canned jars of venison and didn't tell me. I gotta say it was the very best deer meat I have ever eaten.
If I knew this 50 years ago, I would have canned every deer I ever harvested.
Anybody else (or your better half) into canning? Post recipes!

Yes. We just can our with a half teaspoon of black pepper. We do live in farm country in Florida by the best are in the Midwest. We eat it year round and every way imaginable. We can it when we run out of room in the freezer.

Thanks

Buck

I learned to can deer meat from my grandparents and helped my mom do it when I was younger.
We've canned deer meat, elk meat, caribou and moose, usually to provide something that lasts longer than what it will in the freezer (of course food saver has made it so meat lasts longer in the freezer than the old butcher paper method).
As "Sockeye" stated, we eat it a bunch of different ways but one of my favorites is on toast or biscuits in a gravy with eggs on the side for a hardy breakfast.
I love how quick and easy it is to throw something together and the meat is always tender due to the pressure-cooking process. My grandparents weren't super picky about removing all the fat, but you have to make sure you rotate the jars, or the fat will eventually go rancid as stated.

Been canning deer meat for some time now. Very versatile (eat straight from the jar, stroganoff, spaghetti, etc.) for many common dishes/soups. I use simply a dollop of Better than Bullion beef flavor and it comes out great.
This^. Dont waste yer time adding spices and japapeno etc as flavors cook out. Jalap tastes like green peppers. Add the real thing to the meat afterwards if tha is what you want. I also really like that 'better than bouillon' product. But dont add much!
I have a tin can machine so I keep cans of meat stashed in my truck along with saltine crackers and a bottle of tabaso. Never go hungry or forced to eat gas station or fast food when on the road!!

Speaking of canning, my youngest got this deer today, perfect canning buck.

Attachments

• IMG_4505.png
    IMG_4505.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 42
We can whitetail deer , tame rabbit , squirrels, chicken , tame turkey , and pork sausage from our hogs we buy . I believe in all honesty that it's the best way to preserve. Don't have to worry about a freezer going bad or power outages .

We're in the process of building a new home where our camp is and I'm hell bent on building a big root cellar in the hillside to store all our stuff in . I'm over civilization bring on the blackouts

If any of you guys see a deal on tin cans thats the way to go. I lucked out and got 1000 1/2 lb tuna cans for $100 from a local fish mkt that went out of business. I got a 1940's era can can sealer in a garage sale and now in business! no mess no leaks no smell when canning and can can pack as many as can fit in the pressure cooker. And no breakage! https://www.meatsandsausages.com/canning-equipment/can-sealer/ives-way/assembling
IMG_2206.JPG

If any of you guys see a deal on tin cans thats the way to go. I lucked out and got 1000 1/2 lb tuna cans for $100 from a local fish mkt that went out of business. I got a 1940's era can can sealer in a garage sale and now in business! no mess no leaks no smell when canning and can can pack as many as can fit in the pressure cooker. And no breakage! https://www.meatsandsausages.com/canning-equipment/can-sealer/ives-way/assemblingView attachment 511976
Tin canners can get spendy, really spendy. We already have about 200-300 various mason jars and a pressure canner. We've been using Tatler reusable lids with a fair amount of sucess.

Last edited:
Just before COVID, the better half decided to get into pressure canning. So I bought her a 23 qt pressure caner and the fun began.
Well a friend gave me an extra deer and we decided to cut it up for canning.
from what she tell me, you need to remove ALL the fat from the meat if you plan on putting it up for any length of time or it will eventually go rancid, so it was a TON of prep work. she is super picky and the tinyest piece of fat was cut away and discarded.
So you have 80 pounds give or take of stew meat and she raw packed it in the canning jars, with the various spices you would use for cooking.. for example a quart canning jar full of meat with a couple generous slices of onion, a few cloves of garlic, salt and pepper.
Now I gotta admit, I have never been a fan of Whitetail deer meat. All I have ever harvested was mountain deer and they pretty much tasted like the north woods I scraped off my boots. so it was almost always chili. I'm told farm country deer are better but i have never been so fortunate.
Now gotta tell you about a month or so later, she decided to make a stew and used one of the canned jars of venison and didn't tell me. I gotta say it was the very best deer meat I have ever eaten.
If I knew this 50 years ago, I would have canned every deer I ever harvested.
Anybody else (or your better half) into canning? Post recipes!
We garden and of course hunt. One of the things we do is instead of just freezing or canning plain veggies or meat- we prepare meals with the harvest. We grow our own potatoes, carrots and onions- so canned stew is perfect. We cold pack everything, add beef broth to the jars then pressure can it. It is delicious. It's a basic recipe and can found everywhere on the web like this- https://jessinthekitchen.com/pressure-canned-venison-stew/

Soups are also high on the list. Our family favorites are Pork Udon (spicy) for over udon noodles, Taiwanese venison (beef) with collected shank meat and of course chili. We prefer chili Colorado ( a recipe from my Ducks Unlimited mag). Soups, chili's and other prepared canned foods on lower left.

Attachments

• food larder.jpg
    food larder.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 19