Meat Canning Recipes, Tips And Advice

I do it every year, and just follow NCHFP's instructions which you can find here:

I've done both raw and hot pack, and prefer hot packing.

I don't season it beyond a bit of salt. Seasoning it at the time you can it locks you in to a certain flavor profile, so I prefer to leave it unseasoned until I use it.

When reading other people's recipes remember canner style, altitude, and jar size all affect canning time.

We have done the raw pack or cold pack as some call it all the time.
In a qt jar of meat, add your spices. for the last deer we canned it was a couple slices of onion and 4 or so garlic cloves salt and pepper. It was the best deer meat I have ever had. I have never been a fan before this.

Your canner should come with a booklet that will tell you how to pack the jars, (how much head space to leave) how to prep the jars lids and bands, and how long to can it at what pressure and length of time depending on your altitude. 10 bucks will get you all the documentation you need on Amazon.

Also if you don't have nice well water, or if you have hard water, then recommend using distilled water for your canning.. it just prevents the mineral buildup on the lids and bands.

I had a buddy tell me canned venison is awesome. He'd take a can/jar of meat with him on the tractor when he'd be working all day. Pop the lid and have an awesome meal…so I was told. I'm very inclined to believe him as my wife and I got into canning veggies from our garden and love it! I'm thinking shelf stable meat in a jar is an awesome idea!

I'm also thinking I could really make a tasty, extravagant meal as I like to cook with many spices. Definitely following this thread.

+1 on cold packing with a cube of bullion in a pint jar!

For a totally different approach, season venison roast IAW Hank Shaw's Venison Corned Beef. Once done aging for appropriate time (~ 1 week) cube and cold pack/can in a pint jar, amazing!

Question for anyone canning ground venison. Do you brown before canning? I understand it isn't necessary. Thanks
Wife says not necessary but end result will be better if you do. We brown ours first (burger that is). She belongs to a few canning groups and that has always been the prefered method in those groups also.

Recent Posts