Meat Canning Recipes, Tips And Advice

we've done it . I can't find the recipe , it must be with the pressure canner , at camp . I'll ask Denise to look for the directions . a few things I remember is ;

you have to use a pressure canner. they don't recommend cold packing .
pack the jars tight and full .
trim the meat so theres no fat .
add no water to the jar .
we added beef bullion cube , I can't remember how much per jar.
I "THINK" we added a small amount of salt per jar .

it's a fair amount of work . it doesn't look like much in the jar , but it's very good . it makes excellent stroganoff .

PB210359.JPGPB210360.JPGPB210361.JPGPB220367.JPG

I appreciate all the replies so far and I'm going to order the two books 3chester posted. I have ate some of the canned venison and it was great. One thing I really liked about it was it is already cooked. You can eat it right out of the jar, through some canned veggies in with it warm it up and have veggie soup. There are a number of quick meals, real food meals, that can be done. Quite a bit of upfront work but with a big payoff the rest of the year. So, I plan to learn how to do this in a safe manner and reap the rewards. I also like to improve my life skills. Independence and being able to take care of myself are pretty important to me.

we've done it . I can't find the recipe , it must be with the pressure canner , at camp . I'll ask Denise to look for the directions . a few things I remember is ;

you have to use a pressure canner. they don't recommend cold packing .
pack the jars tight and full .
trim the meat so theres no fat .
add no water to the jar .
we added beef bullion cube , I can't remember how much per jar.
I "THINK" we added a small amount of salt per jar .

it's a fair amount of work . it doesn't look like much in the jar , but it's very good . it makes excellent stroganoff .

View attachment 483268View attachment 483269View attachment 483270View attachment 483271
Good looking dinner Jim. I have not canned meat since I was young.

On wild game on quarts I use 1 teaspoon of salt on top of the meat chunks or ground. As soon as it starts up on pressure start timer cook 90 mins. Run up to pressure 12-15 psi turn off heat let it depressure on its own Books will say get up to pressure then start timer but I find that drys wild game.out too much. My grandmother taught me when I was a kid and still doing it