Preference Points

It's not like they are hiding anything all the info is easy to find on odds, tag numbers, applicant numbers, point numbers of applicants etc. Fish and game departments are indeed telling you it might take 25 years to draw you just have to look. If you're doing your research every year then nothing should be a shock.

A person has to take into account the number of people at the same or more point level then them also, in true high point draws you can't look a recap and say "it took 19 points and I have 17 so I'll draw in 2 years" you have to look at applicant numbers and see there are 14 people with 18 so in reality at 2 tags a year I'm a minimum of 7 years away and that's just the people in front of me before my point pool is even tapped into.

I"ve been a successful hunter using point systems for thirty years.. I am also blessed as a land-owner with LOP's so its not that. I just want the word "point" dropped and the word "years" added to regs so there's less mistakes and mishaps. I know of several folks who due to advanced age put in for stuff when they'll be dead before they ever draw. It not like you can gift your decades of points to your kids, or sell them back.-WW

Points aren't interchangeable with years.

"I know of several folks who due to advanced age put in for stuff when they'll be dead before they ever draw."

There's a measure of self responsibility that goes into applying for hunts. Most don't have the slightest idea what they're doing even though the internet has literally hundreds of videos explaining how the different states work. It seems to be too much trouble to figure it out.
To CK's point, the number of people in your pool and above you determine how long it'll take to draw a hunt. People seem to disregard that, as well as not knowing that odds reports don't show people who only bought points and didn't draw; they're essentially invisible. And in WY specifically, less than half of all applicants apply for a hunt, at all point levels, they're buying points and sitting on the bench.

I had OVER $500 in Wyoming pref pionts for mule deer and used them last year for a group hunt in a general zone with 5 of my friends. We were pretty assured of getting the tags as with my points we had 2 points ea for the draw. I figured there were 75 to 100 hunters trying for the premium late hunt I was trying for and with only a handful or less of non res tags available I might never draw it so I decided to share my points with my buddies and one wife. It was fun and we got two nice bucks and two eaters for the six of us and one monster showed up that was missed twice by my friends. I have not regretted the decision to share my points.

Trust me, I know the frustration (and the luck of the draw) well.

I had 29BPs for AZ pronghorn last year. I drew my second choice, and didn't even make the bonus pass (which is another topic), drew tag #70 of 70 in the unit. And yet, I know two people that drew my FIRST choice with 7 and 10 BPs each. Last year, same unit, I knew two people that drew with 4 and 7 BPs respectively, to my 28 that I got skunked with.

Then there is my daughter. She has drawn one of the top 4 or 5 tags in the state for mule deer...TWICE! By the time she was 17. Including one with 1 BP when she was 14. I have put in for that hunt for 35 years and not drawn that tag yet. I now have 11 BPs, and that is one of two tags I will be applying for until I draw it. I don't care if it takes another 10-15+ years. It is that good of a hunt.

I"ve been a successful hunter using point systems for thirty years.. I am also blessed as a land-owner with LOP's so its not that. I just want the word "point" dropped and the word "years" added to regs so there's less mistakes and mishaps. I know of several folks who due to advanced age put in for stuff when they'll be dead before they ever draw. It not like you can gift your decades of points to your kids, or sell them back.-WW

I wasn't picking on you specifically sorry if it came across that way. I just can never understand the amount of threads posted everywhere every year "will two points draw wy gen this year?" "Is 4 points enough for AZ late elk?" "Have 6 points now, looking to burn them on Utah LE this year"
It's like nobody does any of their own research at all anymore. These thread titles could be typed into google and probably give guys as much info as they get posting a thread.

I had 29BPs for AZ pronghorn last year. I drew my second choice, and didn't even make the bonus pass (which is another topic), drew tag #70 of 70 in the unit. And yet, I know two people that drew my FIRST choice with 7 and 10 BPs each. Last year, same unit, I knew two people that drew with 4 and 7 BPs respectively, to my 28 that I got skunked with.

Then there is my daughter. She has drawn one of the top 4 or 5 tags in the state for mule deer...TWICE! By the time she was 17. Including one with 1 BP when she was 14. I have put in for that hunt for 35 years and not drawn that tag yet. I now have 11 BPs, and that is one of two tags I will be applying for until I draw it. I don't care if it takes another 10-15+ years. It is that good of a hunt.
I did get lucky a few times tho - back in 2001 we drew 4 coveted Idaho tags in one of the top mule deer units and we got 3 nice bucks, mine was 26 wide and was a 8X7. Also two of us drew a X-zone tag near the Nevada state line twice in a period of 3 years so as far as draws go, I have been very lucky.

I did get lucky a few times tho - back in 2001 we drew 4 coveted Idaho tags in one of the top mule deer units and we got 3 nice bucks, mine was 26 wide and was a 8X7. Also two of us drew a X-zone tag near the Nevada state line twice
Get ready to wait 20 years before you draw a trophy tag…maybe longer than that…

I did get lucky a few times tho - back in 2001 we drew 4 coveted Idaho tags in one of the top mule deer units and we got 3 nice bucks, mine was 26 wide and was a 8X7. Also two of us drew a X-zone tag near the Nevada state line twice
Now with the reduction in tags available and the cost escalating I am concerned the next generation will not have the opportunities we had as teenagers and will not take up the sport. I got my first deer tags at 12 and took my first buck at 13 in a very tough and competitive unit in Calif. We were lucky to take a single buck ea year for the entire family and 6 or 7 of us would go out as a group throughout the season.

Now with the reduction in tags available and the cost escalating I am concerned the next generation will not have the opportunities we had as teenagers and will not take up the sport. I got my first deer tags at 12 and took my first buck at 13 in a very tough and competitive unit in Calif. We were lucky to take a single buck ea year for the entire family and 6 or 7 of us would go out as a group throughout the season.
There are always other hunting opportunities for youth.

I grew up hunting small game: rabbits, squirrels, quail, and waterfowl. I also trapped furbearers. Something it seems we have lost when introducing our youth to hunting. I sometimes think we are "ruining" them by only going the big game route.
I loved small game hunting and those memories I will cherish until the day I go on to the afterlife. I still enjoy small game and bird hunting... although mulies, antelope and elk tug at my heart strings as well.

I see a day in the not to distant future when most of us (all but the wealthy elite) may have to return to our "roots" and learn to appreciate the "lesser" types of pursuing game and really appreciate the fewer opportunities to hunt big game when we are lucky enough to go that route, especially in other venues.