Preference Points

As others said, it's different per state.

Some states you can buy just the point, other states you have to not draw to get the point. A few states you have to purchase the license to get into the draw. Pricing is all different. Point requirements are all over the place state to state, unit to unit, hunt to hunt.

It can be quite a mess. I would pick one state you're interested in, and go down the rabbit hole of learning the ins and outs. Starting with the state website.

Be prepared to buy a hunting & or fishing license before you apply for points. For Example; Colorado requires the purchase of a 2023 Hunting License before they will allow you to Apply for Tags or Preference Points. Even if your not planning to hunt or fish in Colorado this year, buying the hunting & or fishing license is still Mandatory. Cost of a Non-Res Hunting License is $100+ and it is NON-REFUNDABLE. Cost to Apply for a Prefer Point in Colorado is $10~/Species.

Some States require that you pay for everything in FULL up front. Either draw a tag or get a partial refund upon the results of the draw & a Preference Point.

Do your research, Call F&G in each State you plan on applying for. Keep in mind, States with Preference Points usually have deadlines for Draw Applications early in the year (Colorado's deadline 4/4/23, Primary Applications are now past due, many of the other states were in February & March).

Good Luck

If you are only interested in learning the rules to hunt a couple specific states then I would recommend digging through the aforementioned resources for answers. Be prepared to spend a lot of time doing this and remember you will be spending money to apply, based soley on the understanding you achieve. If you want to hunt in multiple states, or pay someone else to do a lot of the legwork for you; then you might want to look at GoHunt, HuntinFool, or another service that will do the application work for you. I don't have any personal experience with these services, but there are lots of options out there. Before you dive in I highly recommend sitting down and defining your personal goals of what, where, and when you want to hunt :) Good luck!!!

I had been applying in several states earning preference points for years. Still never drawn. With point creep out gaining my +1 every year I've about given up & resorted to private landowners tags.

Ya for the guys starting now it's not a pretty picture.

Utah you may as well forget about as a non res unless you are just lucky in the random.

Who knows what happens in wy but if you start this year I bet a general elk tag is 7+ years away.

Az you can get lucky but even the late rifle elk hunts are creeping like crazy.

Co you will never catch the top units unless you get lucky in the hybrid. Now the middle tier units are getting blown up because guys are realizing their decade + of points will never catch the top.

Idaho and New mex are straight lottery, no points but the application pool is growing and reducing odds.

I feel for my kids, they will more than likely never have the opportunity that even my generation has had unless this western big game hunting bubble pops. And I hope everyday that it does.

Ya for the guys starting now it's not a pretty picture.

Utah you may as well forget about as a non res unless you are just lucky in the random.

Who knows what happens in wy but if you start this year I bet a general elk tag is 7+ years away.

Az you can get lucky but even the late rifle elk hunts are creeping like crazy.

Co you will never catch the top units unless you get lucky in the hybrid. Now the middle tier units are getting blown up because guys are realizing their decade + of points will never catch the top.

Idaho and New mex are straight lottery, no points but the application pool is growing and reducing odds.

I feel for my kids, they will more than likely never have the opportunity that even my generation has had unless this western big game hunting bubble pops. And I hope everyday that it does.

I'm also a spoiled brat & have high expectations for elk/mule deer.

I have 9 points WY, 11 in Arizona for Elk & 14 for mule deer!! I'm only 42, still got time.