Preference Points

Do you just hold out or hunt your home state?

or you do try to dip into what little OTC is left while waiting? Lol

I'll continue to hunt in Texas - we have tons of options - but it's not the same experience. All high fence private land - it's still fun, but sometimes it's not as sporting as it could be.

I'd do an OTC hunt if I could find a legit outfitter & had a high shot opportunity chance at a good elk (320"-330"+) or a 170"+ mule deer.

Its a scam and after a few years of ruined planned vacations that I didn't get drawn for, I said screw it and went to Africa. No drawings, no preference points, and in the long run, cheaper than most western states hunts and far less competition and a whole lot more critters to shoot at in the same season. .

Have 23 points for bighorn sheep in Wyoming. Thought a few years ago had a chance. Now in mid 70s and they keep moving the goal posts. Probably never will draw being able to do the hunt even though paid for all these points. At least started me son, and if they don't dramatically change it more he should have a chance. My feelings are not only for myself, but the outfitters that rely on non residents. Not one of the major issues facing our country, but shows where we are being led. Sorry for venting. Merry Christmas.

Have 23 points for bighorn sheep in Wyoming. Thought a few years ago had a chance. Now in mid 70s and they keep moving the goal posts. Probably never will draw being able to do the hunt even though paid for all these points. At least started me son, and if they don't dramatically change it more he should have a chance. My feelings are not only for myself, but the outfitters that rely on non residents. Not one of the major issues facing our country, but shows where we are being led. Sorry for venting. Merry Christmas.

They pulled tags out of your point pool for a bunch of hunts in 2023.

Sure hope you draw that tag this year!

AZ has a bonus point system.
Either buy just the BP each year, or apply and not draw to get the point.
There are three other options to obtain a bonus point in AZ.
1. Hunters Education point. Awarded for successful completion of the Hunters Ed program. Permanent bonus point.
Or (you can only have 1 or 2, not both)
2. Ethical Hunter point. Awarded upon the completion of an Ethical Hunter class. Used to relieve overload of the limited Hunters Ed classes intended for young or first time hunters. Permanent bonus point.
3. Loyalty Point. This comes after 5 consecutive years of applying for the same species. If you miss a year of applications, you lose this and have to start over.

It took 27 years and 29 BPs for me to draw a resident AZ pronghorn tag.
I currently have 11 BPs for deer, and 8 BPs for elk. And back to 2 for pronghorn now. I might never draw another one in AZ.

I'm also a spoiled brat & have high expectations for elk/mule deer.

I have 9 points WY, 11 in Arizona for Elk & 14 for mule deer!! I'm only 42, still got time.
If you are a non-res, depending on unit, weapon, and hunt date, you could still be in for a long wait for AZ. Those numbers don't even touch a guarantee for late rifle deer or early rifle bull tag in the premium units for residents.