Painting the stock on my VLP

Should I paint My Laminate VLP stock

• Total voters

LEFTYM77

I'm trying to decide if I should Paint the stock of my savage vlp. It is a laminated stock, and I really like the design, it fits me well and is really confortable for me to shoot prone or from the bench. I ama lefty shooting a right handed gun( by choice for this one) and looking at the mcmillan and b+c stocks I don't they would fit my left handedness very well so I am concidering painting and possibly skim bedding my vlp stock has anyone painted a laminate stock before?

Yep , you just need to knock the finish back some with some 180 grit sand paper so that the paint will stick then use any of the btter paints like Brownell's Alumahyde II or dura-coat , both are tough and easly applied but the dura-coat needs an air brush.

I have also use spray on bed liner that used for coating pick up truck beds.

or if your not worried about cost and don't mind using the same high tech ultra modern coating that the US Marine Snipers use

you can run down to wal-mart and get some Krylon !!

A bedding job woulden't hurt and will likely help your accuracy

whay don't you like the laminated look?

I like the look I was just thinking (major problem:rolleyes:) it would be cool to have something a little different than everyone else...

Well if it were me I'd not mess up that stock and just sell it them put that money toward a new laminate from Joel Russo , he may even be able to make you an left handed stock for that right bolt gun if you asked nicely.
He has some wilde colors as well as some mild ones here are two guns that I have done with his A5L stocks which is a replica of the McMillan A5 but in laminate of many colors and the ability to trim it to fit you , all for about half the price and 1-10th the wait

6x47Lapua1.jpg

SSG2601.jpg

The stocks come from Joel pretty well finished , not nearly as rough as most "semi finished" stocks all thats left is a few hrs sanding andn their all but done , just bed it and finish it with your choice of coats and thats it. You can even have them sprayed by an auto body shop with gloss clear and have a thick deep glossy look.

The only thing I do recomend is that you have Joel fit the recoil pad , this stock desgine makes it kinda tricky to do without screwing up the pad.

Fill the pores and give it a go.

Personally I don't like the looks of laminates.

For functionality and the generally accepted black stock, Dupli-Color bed liner is hard to beat. I haven't found a color other than black, though.

Hold the can away from the work to get the characteristic roughness. The longer it sets the harder it gets.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.