Prepping and painting a stock

Boman

Ive got a Factory rifle stock that needs to be painted. My question is mainly about prepping the stock, the stock has a real glossy finish.. what's the best way to get this paint off? I figure my options are sanding or paint thinner? What do you guys do? I know some just leave the paint on and paint over but im concerned the glossy paint wont let the new paint stick too well... Thanks for you help

It depends somewhat on the paint. Some respond better to certain strippers than others, so you may need to try a couple different products to find the most effective one. I've used DuraCoat on rifle stocks and found CitriStrip a pretty good stripper for it. Acetone works well too, but I don't want to pour the used contents down the drain. Whatever you find works best for the paint on your stock, you'll still need a small brush to scrub the corners and hard to reach places.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.