Grizzly called in at 50 yards.

ohlongarmisle

Pole Bridge Montana I was calling for wolves in a treestand 12 feet right in front of the bird house on the tree, as I'd heard them howling in the area all night,at 9am here's what came in ,mind you i'm 50 yards from him, I had my 270, now look close where he makes me were eyeballing each other, had he attacked and tried getting up the fir tree, i'd had to kill him, which i'm confident i could have. Unfortunately this format won't support my video which is great,these are the still pictures, if there's a way to post the video i would. I was using my Icotec Nightstalker with the elk calf distress. Jpeg 4 we're eye to eye had he charged he'd taken a head shot at 50 yards. Hornady 270 interbond 150 grain is what I was loaded with, fantastic round out to 600 yards.

Attachments

• big bear.jpeg
    big bear.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 130
  • big bear 2.jpeg
    big bear 2.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 130
  • big bear 3.jpeg
    big bear 3.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 134
  • big bear 4.jpeg
    big bear 4.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 134
  • big bear 5.jpeg
    big bear 5.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 132
  • big bear1.jpeg
    big bear1.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hold on now.....you traipsing into that bears territory....start using an elk calf call...it comes to investigate....and if "it comes towards you"..you're going to kill it...........maybe you should have stayed in Ohio......hunting yotes......

There's a difference between an accidental confrontation....and one brought on by your 'calling to induce excitement of the local animals'.....and shooting a Spring grizzly searching for fresh foods........

Pole Bridge Montana I was calling for wolves in a treestand 12 feet right in front of the bird house on the tree, as I'd heard them howling in the area all night,at 9am here's what came in ,mind you i'm 50 yards from him, I had my 270, now look close where he makes me were eyeballing each other, had he attacked and tried getting up the fir tree, i'd had to kill him, which i'm confident i could have. Unfortunately this format won't support my video which is great,these are the still pictures, if there's a way to post the video i would. I was using my Icotec Nightstalker with the elk calf distress. Jpeg 4 we're eye to eye had he charged he'd taken a head shot at 50 yards. Hornady 270 interbond 150 grain is what I was loaded with, fantastic round out to 600 yards.
Awesome encounter!!!

Hold on now.....you traipsing into that bears territory....start using an elk calf call...it comes to investigate....and if "it comes towards you"..you're going to kill it...........maybe you should have stayed in Ohio......hunting yotes......

There's a difference between an accidental confrontation....and one brought on by your 'calling to induce excitement of the local animals'.....and shooting a Spring grizzly searching for fresh foods........
You sound like a member of PETA. If I was calling for coyotes/wolves and had an encounter with a grizz on accident and he started a charge I would hammer him also.

You said it.......
accidentally......antler hunting and running into a grizzly is accidental......

provoking a feeding frenzy by using an elk call......isnt....

PETA.....yes......
People Eating Tastey Animals..........

Listen there's other forms you need visiting this is not one, i'm legally calling wolves, if a grizzly shows up oh well, if he tries to maul me I kill him, i'll accept the consequences , we hike yearly in Polebridge,if a grizzly wants some of us he'll get some.Perhaps you'd feel better taking a selfie with a grizzly, not my first encounter and not last.Furtermore i'm on privately owned property, secondly wolves respond furiously to an elk calf distress something you're obviously unaware of. 👍

You're a peach. The man was legally hunting wolves. What would you have him do? Not hunt? Are you against bow hunters using cow calls in grizz territory too?
I don't care for archery hunting in that area because of the griz. For that matter it's not very high on my list to hunt with a rifle. The odds of a bear encounter with meat or game calls is very high. The areas around glacier park are tough. We could certainly support a griz season.

I prefer to hunt areas where the liklihood that I become the hunted is lower.