PA bear hunting

rolling it up in a cheap blue tarp , will help drag it .
We had one of those black plastic tabogins kids play in the snow with in the vehicle.
And we lashed my bear onto that before we started dragging it. They weigh almost nothing. But a tarp would work also, just not as durable for things that might damage it.
Get the bear, then worry about getting it out. lol

We had one of those black plastic tabogins kids play in the snow with in the vehicle.
And we lashed my bear onto that before we started dragging it. They weigh almost nothing. But a tarp would work also, just not as durable for things that might damage it.
Get the bear, then worry about getting it out. lol
Exactly what I was going to suggest. A plastic sled tabogin style. But I would definitely consider beefing up where the anchor point is for the rope somehow. Possibly a flat piece of wood on both sides w/ big flat washers or something. Unless you have some flat rubber (mud flap off tractor trailer) or some kind of plastic straps. Just a few ideas.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was going to suggest. A plastic sled tabogin style. But I would definitely consider beefing up where the anchor point is for the rope somehow. Possibly a flat piece of wood on both sides w/ big flat washers or something. Unless you have some flat rubber (mud flap off tractor trailer) or some kind of plastic straps. Just a few ideas.
We just lashed the bear onto the sled.
Then used the bear for attaching the drag line.
Worked well on the fairly level ground but not as well dragging up the steep hill side to the road.
But by then help had arrived, two young guys came down from
the road and litterally carried it up to the road with the help of my son.
It would have worked better by just dragging the bear at that point. but i didnt want to scrape any hair off of the hide.

We just lashed the bear onto the sled.
Then used the bear for attaching the drag line.
Worked well on the fairly level ground but not as well dragging up the steep hill side to the road.
But by then help had arrived, two young guys came down from
the road and litterally carried it up to the road with the help of my son.
It would have worked better by just dragging the bear at that point. but i didnt want to scrape any hair off of the hide.
I only hunt where I can utilize my 700 Kodiak. I don't have the back or lungs anymore for long drags. lol

I've got another question. The PA game commission requires that you bring the bear into a check station and it must be the whole carcass minus the guts of course. I have a game cart that resembles a dolly that I have used for deer. I think it'll work for an average size bear but what if we get something over 300 lbs? Only going to be 2 of us! Any suggestions other than calling 10 friends? By the way I don't have 10 friends.

I've got another question. The PA game commission requires that you bring the bear into a check station and it must be the whole carcass minus the guts of course. I have a game cart that resembles a dolly that I have used for deer. I think it'll work for a average size bear but what if we get something over 300 lbs? Only going to be 2 of us! Any suggestions other than calling 10 friends? By the way I don't have 10 friends.
i can't find the language in the game commission website but you can take all parts minus guts into the check station. It does not have to be whole. I carry the game warden biz card and cell number who told me this. I suggest you call to confirm.

i can't find the language in the game commission website but you can take all parts minus guts into the check station. It does not have to be whole. I carry the game warden biz card and cell number who told me this. I suggest you call to confirm.
Thanks. Yes I combed through the annual regulation book and couldn't find anything that said it must be the whole bear. Not sure if I misread it a few years ago or just heard it from someone.
I will definitely confirm beforehand. Especially when the warden directed me to certain areas to hunt which he will be patrolling. The commonwealth gets enough money from me in taxes so I surely don't want to give any extra from a citation!

last week must have been bear week , I got pics of 6 bear . I got a big mom with two cubs , a smaller mom with one cub ( I must not have saved a picture ) , and a smaller one yet, by itself .

mom with two cubs . 08080013.JPG

by itself . 08120062.JPG

Thanks. Yes I combed through the annual regulation book and couldn't find anything that said it must be the whole bear. Not sure if I misread it a few years ago or just heard it from someone.
I will definitely confirm beforehand. Especially when the warden directed me to certain areas to hunt which he will be patrolling. The commonwealth gets enough money from me in taxes so I surely don't want to give any extra from a citation!
Birddog,
I shot a 525 lb 4 years ago in the worst possible place i could have. I called the warden and told him the situation and asked about quartering it up. He was hesitant but agreed, the only request was he wanted the head and hide to stay intact. Wow that was a heavy pack, if i remember correctly it was 104lbs. The warden met me at the first game lands road and let me load all the game bags in his truck and we drove out to my truck, about a mile. In my experience they have been very willing to help, when it comes to getting a bear out or checking them in when the stations are closed.

Birddog,
I shot a 525 lb 4 years ago in the worst possible place i could have. I called the warden and told him the situation and asked about quartering it up. He was hesitant but agreed, the only request was he wanted the head and hide to stay intact. Wow that was a heavy pack, if i remember correctly it was 104lbs. The warden met me at the first game lands road and let me load all the game bags in his truck and we drove out to my truck, about a mile. In my experience they have been very willing to help, when it comes to getting a bear out or checking them in when the stations are closed.
WOW that's a big bear! Others have mentioned that the GC are usually accommodating and willing to help out.
May I ask what cartridge and bullet you were using?

300wsm, 168 barnes ttsx. I had some bad experiences with cup and core and switched to barnes 10 plus years ago and never looked back. Nothing but great performance from Barnes. Little bears go down easy but big ones are a whole different story....