Pa Elk

freepistol

Anyone know which zone would be the best for a long range shot at an Elk of either sex? I'm not familiar with any of the areas and need some help picking a zone to apply.
Thanks!
Ben

I don't have anything helpfull for you. I apply "undesignated" and if I ever get drawn I'll deal with what I get. My understanding is that private land access is the biggest problem. Some zones look small enough to literally shoot across!

With my limited experience in that area I think local land access will determine the possibility of a long range shot more than which zone your in.

I'll wish you luck in the drawing right after I get my tag! Been in since the beginning and still waiting.

Gene

as i type this im sitting in our cameron co. pa. camp.
elk, and cameron counties have the largest population to my knowledge. hardly a day goes by i dont see elk in our yard.
we hunt long range exclusivly for deer. we rarly see elk while were glassing. there is lots of open land where you could glass for elk in the sinnemahoning to emporeum area. also from driftwood to weedville.
i havent ever applied for a tag, and have no interest in doing so.
i think you will find that a large percentage of them live near fairly populated areas.
youve got a better chance hitting one with your car than you do getting one long range.

an update on the elk.
while here for the summer, im building a garage next to the camp. we had a backhoe here, preparing the site.
this morning there were 5 elk playing on the dirt piles. 2 others were eating the leaves off the bushes in the yard.
at least none had collars.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.