PA bear hunting

They might have, I never really looked into it that hard as I didn't get a turkey that year so it wouldn't qualify.

The bear came in at 475 live weight, skull was 20-7/16" if I remember correctly. Had the rug done without the head, if I'd have known I was putting it on the wall instead of the floor I'd have probably gotten the head part instead of having it lay flat.

IMG_8410.jpeg

I was going to do a search but I'll be lazy since there's a couple tagged in that have gotten bears. I'm probably just going to take my deer rifle bear hunting. It's a Xbolt in 7-08 and I use nosler ballistic tip for deer in the 120 and 140 grain variety. I am currently working on a load with Speer 130 grain hot cor that looks promising. Does one of these stand out as good for bear or should I go with something more stout?

I was going to do a search but I'll be lazy since there's a couple tagged in that have gotten bears. I'm probably just going to take my deer rifle bear hunting. It's a Xbolt in 7-08 and I use nosler ballistic tip for deer in the 120 and 140 grain variety. I am currently working on a load with Speer 130 grain hot cor that looks promising. Does one of these stand out as good for bear or should I go with something more stout?
Again, where you hit them is more important than what you hit them with.
Bears will die as easily as other animals if hit in a vital spot.
That said, dont be fooling yourself either.
I would personally be using as heavy a bullet as i could and still get good accuracy.
And id be carefull to be picking locations to hunt where i wouldnt be tempted to be taking long shots.

I was considering the 7-08 since shots will probably be under 200 yards and it's got a 22" barrel compared to 26" on the 280 AI
The gun i used to kill my bear had a 27" barrel.
The 280ai will expand upon your range, and that might be a good thing. If you can cover twice the amount of territory from the location you choose, does that not increase the odds?

I was considering the 7-08 since shots will probably be under 200 yards and it's got a 22" barrel compared to 26" on the 280 AI
You hunting from a blind, tree stand, or stalking ? I would decide on these factors if it was me. Sitting in a tree stand I don't think the length should hurt you. Now if stalking in thick brush a shorter barrel may be a wiser choice. And in a blind, room is also limited, sometimes. Hunting in the woods in SE Pa I never found barrel length to be a big factor for me.

You hunting from a blind, tree stand, or stalking ? I would decide on these factors if it was me. Sitting in a tree stand I don't think the length should hurt you. Now if stalking in thick brush a shorter barrel may be a wiser choice. And in a blind, room is also limited, sometimes. Hunting in the woods in SE Pa I never found barrel length to be a big factor for me.
I haven't traveled to the area yet so I'm not sure but I'll probably be in a portable climbing tree stand or sitting against a tree. I absolutely hate hunting out of a blind!
And yes you guys talked me into just taking the 280 AI. 😁

I haven't traveled to the area yet so I'm not sure but I'll probably be in a portable climbing tree stand or sitting against a tree. I absolutely hate hunting out of a blind!
And yes you guys talked me into just taking the 280 AI. 😁
I saw that on your other thread about briefs.

I'm not a bear hunter , my buddy is . he hunts with a gang that drive all season . they do kill bear every season . my buddy hunted something like 20 years and never got one . he got one two years in a row . the one year him and his son both got one . his son got the triple trophy that year . my Buddy uses a 35 Whelen , his son a 30.06 . he has a rug made out of one , and his big bear is a full mount , I think it weighed in the 500's , it's big in his house .

dougs bear.jpg dougs bear 2.jpg