Oregon

We were on the NE side out close to the dunes.

Rupe
obviously some good LONG range out there. I did a little shooting a number of years ago on the south side of little glass buttes to the north farther with a nice mountain as a backstop. Love that country out there.

obviously some good LONG range out there. I did a little shooting a number of years ago on the south side of little glass buttes to the north farther with a nice mountain as a backstop. Love that country out there.

That's why we moved here. We used to spend almost every weekend over here camping, so we stated looking into buying some acreage of grid. Then before we knew it we lived here. It's been
5+ years now and we are still loving it here in the middle of no where. Nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away. Shoot right of the front porch to 1000 yards. Lots of country to explore in our Jeep. It's just awesome!

Rupe

That's why we moved here. We used to spend almost every weekend over here camping, so we stated looking into buying some acreage of grid. Then before we knew it we lived here. It's been
5+ years now and we are still loving it here in the middle of no where. Nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away. Shoot right of the front porch to 1000 yards. Lots of country to explore in our Jeep. It's just awesome!

Rupe
OK enough, I'm jealous...(but happy for you) I do enjoy the west side too, I suppose I would enjoy anywhere in the outdoors.

Yes living as we do it is the cats meow! I can't stand the West side. I lived there almost my whole life. I lived on a ranch outside of Pendleton for a year and The Dalles for a year. The rest was on the West side whether in Washington or Oregon I just could never get out of the Wetness side.
But finally I was able to do it. Now it's like living an adventure every day!
So after 52 years I made it and it would take a herd of Cape Buffalo to drag me back over the Casacades to live over there again. I go for visits and VA appt. and that's it.
To much rain and to many people. Over here land is cheap and we have sun shine 300 days out of the year. Of course it might be 30° below zero on some of those sunny days but at least we have them. The winters are tough here but it's worth it. And what's really great is we only get 10" of rain fall a year!!!! It snows instead. Dry snow and is usually gone by noon or it may hang around for a couple months.
Some months we'll see a couple hundred deer on the way to town (20 miles) and we see herds of pronghorns, herds of Elk and of course thousands of jackrabbits, sage rats. We even see wild horse herds SE of town. Yep just had to rub it in a little bit more!:D
Rupe

Yeah Rupe, I grew up on the west side, my wife grew up just south of LakeView on the CA. side...she loves the west, green and rain, and I love the east dry and cold. But I told her I'd move where she moves (and I have a job here that pays the bills) She loves the sun too, but has some blood issues now that prevent much elevation for her, causes some serious blood pressure issues, so we don't hike glass buttes anymore. We camped up there in the back of a toyota pickup one Jan. in minus temps, cooked the ice for an hour to get my coffee warm, it was awesome.
I remember seeing the deer and antelope herds out around Christmas Valley, hundreds, or more in the winter.
Sorry you have to visit the VA (Portland I assume, ikkkkk) I've been there, some hearing issues from submarine duties. So, I'll go ahead and soak up the rain for you and keep sending you the sunshine. I guess that's what Cabelas made rain gear for.

Oh yeah, the sage rats (wife calls em whistle pigs) and wild horses. We still make it to S Fork Crooked River on occasion, some beautiful wild horses run the west side there. Get some nice petrified wood, and hopefully a cougar one day, lots of em in there.

one of my lasting memories, mostly because it was a historic (almost tragically so) day, was a fishing trip up to Thompsons Reservoir. Lots of deer up there too, at leat then...that was the day Reagan got shot, I was on leave from the navy at the time. Fishing wasn't great but the scenery sure was. I suppose that is where a lot of the elk migrate down from??

I'm sorry about your wifes Blood pressure problems, that's a shame. Hunted 2 years avo for elk up there. We heard there weren'g many up there but got to go where.you drew the tag. Hunted the 5 day season and never saw a fresh track. Even in the snow. Nothing that''s the Silver Lake unit. We covered it good too. E eryone we talked to said the same thing. We only heard of one elk taken out of there. oh well!
Never been to.S. crooked river area.
Not Portland, I go to Roseberg VA hospital. I was in the Navy too!
I was an Airdale Airframes Sheetmetal smith. NAS Whidbey Is, Wa. Shore duty right out of A school! Great place to be stationed.

NOW for the BIG NEWS, I used my Savage Striker specialty pistol with the .270win. barrel on it.
With lots of help and instruction I ended up connecting with a out a 9" target at "Drum Roll Please"

890 yards! This a a new personal record for me. Before that I had never shot beyond 360 yards.
What an exciting feeling of accomplishment!

Rupe

Congrats Dave!
Wish I could have been there! See ya in a few weeks, and we will try to get you farther out yet:D

-Mike

Well Rogue hunter and his son made it over to Christmas Valley and boy did we break some personal records. Short post in the Specialty handgun sub forum here. What a great time we had.
1 mile with a handgun, yep we sure did!!!

Rupe

Recent Posts