Old Savage Rifle - Old Bell and Howell scope - I'm amazed!

Cholla

I bought a 30-ish-year-old Savage Model 12 in .223 last spring. I mounted a Bell & Howell scope from the late 1960s on it because I had nothing else at the moment. I took it out to sight in at 100 yards and was amazed! I don't think I have ever done this with a rifle before. I think I'm ready for coyote hunting! If the Savage Impulse in .270 can do this, I am going to start saving my pennies.

IMG_4418.JPG

Some of the Savages back then were real shooters, I used to hang out with some old farts at the gun club when I had some time 25-30 years ago and they would have their money shoot every week with a 22 class and a centerfire class and they all shot both. Some of the games were $1 in the pot and some were a whole 2 bucks. They had several games they played, for example one of the $1 buy in was for best 5 shot group of the day and winner takes all, and the $2 shoot I liked to watch was the centerfire aspirin shoot. They would put an aspirin tablet on a black paper target at 100 yards, to take a shot you put $2 in the pot and the pot carried until the aspirin was hit. $2 per shot, as many shots as you want. Sometimes it would go a couple days before the pot was won, you would have guys trying 3-5 times and the pressure ratcheting up as well as the gamesmanship only old guys can get away with that kept me laughing. With the black paper behind it it would be very rare to be able to spot a miss. More often than not guy named Sonny would take that pot, cantankerous but genuinely good guy that came home from WWII in the pacific minus a leg. He shot a Savage 12 in 223, it averaged well less than 3/8" at 100 regardless of conditions and he dearly loved taking the money. Good times with those guys.

I have a Savage 110 in .243, synthetic stock that often times has trouble hitting the earth! Going to rebarrel it one of these days just haven't decided what caliber! Might go 6mm, my Uncle Ivan's favorite caliber but still undecided! One of these days... not holding my breath. My other Savage 110 is 30-06 with a horrible rough barrel that holds an inch! Go figure!
Cheers,
crkckr

I have never seen nor heard of a "Bell & Howell" rifle Scope other than some old night vision stuff, Are you sure that isn't and old "Bausch and Lomb" Scope?

Nice group for whatever it is!