old New Rifle

Dadgumit

I have a 6mm rifle 24" barrel bolt action thinking of rebarreling this what do you think of 6mm-284 ??? Just thinking right now I have a lot of ideas another 240 Gibbs ?? I need some imput Guys !!:rolleyes:

I you just want a fast shooting 6mm, look at 240 Wby. It responds well to handloads and factory ammo is available.

But, like Ron said, ...long action/magnum bolt face, or single shot.

I have both the 6mm Rem and 6mm/284. I don't really notice much difference between the two out to about 400. Past this the 6mm/284 starts to get noticeably easier to hit with. My 6mm/284 is built on an action that was originally a .243 win and will not feed from the magazine reliably. If I make another 6mm rifle it will be a 6mm Rem Ackley Improved. Probably the best of both worlds.

I have both the 6mmAI & The 6/284 & love them both, 6mmAI 1-12 twist 87grn V-Max @ 3500fps & the 6/284 1-8 twist 107 smk @ just over 3200. Both shoot lights out & both have their specific uses.

If you BEHAVE yourself :D the 6/284 will treat you very well; & if you don't, expect to have your bbl set back pretty dern quickly! I 'ersonally wouldn't recommend the WBY, I am kinda biased when it comes to that so I won't stand on a soap box here. Velocity potental is very close between the two although the 6/284 has a good bit more availability in the brass area.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts