Nightforce or Leupold?

kiwi1

Hi All,

Wanting some guidence/advise on a scope for my TRG-42, .338LM.

At present looking at a Nightforce NSX 5~22x 56 or a Leupold Mark4 ERT 8.5~ 25x what are your thourghts?

Planning to work up over time to shooting goats/Deer at long range. Do these scopes have enough power?

I've had both and i now use nxs because they have more distinct clicks and seem slightly better optically also leopold have gone stupid with their pricing in the uk, they are not as good as schmidt and bender so should not cost the same , simple !

I have owned both. I now only have the NF NXS's. As metioned the NF turrets have the most positive detents I have felt and the tracking and zero return are among the best. For uder $2000 I don't feel anything compares with a Nightforce NXS.

The 5.5 ~ 22 will be fine for your deer hunting at long range. I have taken a couple animals past 1100 yards and the 22X was plenty good enough.

Jeff gun)gun)

Last edited:
IMHO take the money yopu were gonna spend on the NF and buy 2 Sightron's. One for this gun and you will have an extra for the next gun you buy/build.:D

Sightrons go on all my guns...wouldn't have it any other way!

Hi,

I have never owned a Leapold, so not much help to you there.

I moved from my initial purchase of a Lynx Tactical 3.5 - 10 X 44 to a Nightforce NXS 5.5 - 22 X 50. I decided the difference between 50 and 56 objective was not enough to worry about for me.

I love the Nightforce and compared it with the Leapold Tactical 4 models - personal preference is the Nightforce by far, the glass is supurb.

At my club I've had Leapold owners look through the Nightforce and are amazed by what they can see out there:)

Cheers.

Hi

Out of the two I'd go the N/Force . It depends on your budget as there is better glass out there.
We pay a premium for some models of scopes here .

leupold M4s are good but nightforce has beter glass and has my full trust to work with out any problems everytime, S&B has even beter glass.

I have three 5.5-22 x 56 & two Mk4s 6.5-20 & 8.5-25 x 50 & a 4.5-18 x 50 TT

If you don't mind weight get the NSX, if thats a worry get the Mark 4.

I haven't had any trouble with them dialling yet or the VXIIIs & VX3 LRs I have.

The Kahles won't have enough elevation for you I would think, you should check.

I own 3 NightForce scopes, 1 Premier Heritage, 1 Zeiss Conquest, 1 Swarovski on all of my long range rifles.
Yet I have 2 Leupolds on my 22 calibre rimfires.
Very soon both 22's will sport either Burris or some other scope.
Hope this answers your question.

I own a lot of rifles and many scopes. I just bought my first Zeiss Duralyt and it is brilliant! I am going to upgrade to Zeiss on the rifles I use a lot.

Leupolds are very good but not quite as good. I have been a gun dealer for 4 years and the Leupold is very popular around where I live (Murtoa, Victoria). Weaver are also very popular.

Hi Greybeard

I agree the Duralyt's are excellent but they dont have enough power for what I do..

I'm on 20 X on a good day all the way out wide.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.