Just ordered my 338 EDGE

Young and keen is great..but there are a few tricks that are only gained by building match winners. I have no doubt they build accurate rifles.

How many "F class open or standard have these rifles won.recently ? I know what won at Rosedale today..

It was Benchmark barrel..... Which barrel and action holds the F class National title.... ? Every minute detail counts.
Of course the shooter has a lot to do with it!

If I am spending that kind of money I need to know its the best built by the best in the country. If that means I have to wait 15 months so be it!

It was Benchmark barrel..... Which barrel and action holds the F class National title.... ? Every minute detail counts.

If I am spending that kind of money I need to know its the best built by the best in the country. If that means I have to wait 15 months so be it!

Who might we be referring to here?

Stock looks great Aussie LRH although you might have some probs closing the bolt :D,what colours are you thinking for the metal work.
Is John painting it for you,i know a couple of years back he didn't touch duracoat and similar paints,i had to get mine coated elsewhere.

Who might we be referring to here?

I was thinking the same....Giles is one of the best in the country some people must just think there is only one smith:rolleyes:......I am not going for the F class championship I'm simply building a rifle to MY specs, and needs not a world beater but I'm sure it will be a tack driver.

Stock looks great Aussie LRH although you might have some probs closing the bolt :D,what colours are you thinking for the metal work.
Is John painting it for you,i know a couple of years back he didn't touch duracoat and similar paints,i had to get mine coated elsewhere.

Geoff from SLR coatings will be doing it, I am thinking something close to the tan in the stock, micro slick on the bolt.

Young and keen is great..but there are a few tricks that are only gained by building match winners. I have no doubt they build accurate rifles.

How many "F class open or standard have these rifles won.recently ? I know what won at Rosedale today..

If I am spending that kind of money I need to know its the best built by the best in the country. If that means I have to wait 15 months so be it![/QUOTE

Yes Sig you are right in what you say, but wait there is more......

Once again our highly skilled and extremely talented gunsmith and Australian Commonwealth Olympic champion shooter Geoff Grenfell cleaned up the entire show at Rosedale this weekend in F Class standard with a score of 298 out of 300.
This is a great testimony of Geoff's skills in building a match winning combination rifle with a Lawton action coupled to a Benchmark barrel .
In fact all events won either sported a Lawton action and / or a Benchmark barrel.
Not a bad compliment to pay in anyone's language.
There was no mention of any other so called quality actions and barrel combos winning anything.
Geoff has nearly finished building my 284 Winchecter F Class open rifle based on Lawton action with a Benchmark barrel due to be picked up this coming Friday, incidentally just in time for my birthday.
Looking forward to picking up my top class match winning rifle.
My second rifle a long range outfit is also being built by Geoff on a Lawton action coupled to a Lawton barrel is two weeks behind the 284 in arriving.
No doubt that one will also be a superb shooting rifle.
More on that later down the track.

I only seek the best from the best and have it built by the best...............the records are there and they speak for themselves .............there is no other option

Last edited:
I know whats gone into that .284....

I have no doubt you will be cleaning them up soon with that combo..

Looking forward to my special 7mm............

Bill thinks it will all up weigh well under 9lb with that 28 inch tube including the NXS:D.

There some pretty nice Edges in those pics. Like most of my rifles, mine will be a budget build, but will hopefully still provide some fun and entertainment.

[/QUOTE

Yes Sig you are right in what you say, but wait there is more......

Once again our highly skilled and extremely talented gunsmith and Australian Commonwealth Olympic champion shooter Geoff Grenfell cleaned up the entire show at Rosedale this weekend in F Class standard with a score of 298 out of 300.
This is a great testimony of Geoff's skills in building a match winning combination rifle with a Lawton action coupled to a Benchmark barrel .
In fact all events won either sported a Lawton action and / or a Benchmark barrel.
Not a bad compliment to pay in anyone's language.
There was no mention of any other so called quality actions and barrel combos winning anything.
Geoff has nearly finished building my 284 Winchecter F Class open rifle based on Lawton action with a Benchmark barrel due to be picked up this coming Friday, incidentally just in time for my birthday.
Looking forward to picking up my top class match winning rifle.
My second rifle a long range outfit is also being built by Geoff on a Lawton action coupled to a Lawton barrel is two weeks behind the 284 in arriving.
No doubt that one will also be a superb shooting rifle.
More on that later down the track.

I only seek the best from the best and have it built by the best...............the records are there and they speak for themselves .............there is no other option

Hi Sig,

As you already know I picked up my latest 338 build from Geoff last Friday and man does this thing shoot.
I am in the process of "running it in" and it is shooting groups at well under 1 inch at 300 yards for starters and that is only after 21 shots.
How good will it get but I am positive it will be a tackholer with that Premier Reticles scope doing the optical work.
What a fantastic scope it is.
Although I've only shot it at 300 yards I put the Premier scope well ahead of my March and NightForce scopes.
I am just so pleased with Geoff's outstanding work that I will be selling both of my Accumarks in 30-378 & 338-378 as complete outfits along with their NF scopes as "ready to go" outfits.
As you have witnessed both of these Accumarks are 1/2" grouping rifles.

It's just that I can't have 4 long range rifles at the same time.

Will keep the 284 and the latest 338 (both Grenfell builds) as this is all I need.

So if you know of another home for these Accumarks then please send me a PM.

Ridge

Last edited:
Got any photos ridge rider?

Also what barrels you boys getting in through Geoff? Just saves me reading back through the whole thread. Haha
Will be looking to stock a spare 338 barrel for my edge and perhaps get a new 6 mm for my 240 and 30 cal for my wsm.

Benchmark Rock Creek & Lawton.. I dont think Lawton will be making barrels anymore just actions which is a shame..They f'n shoot!

Ridge Rider has a Benchmark 7mm barrel in his F class rig tach holing at 300 GG uses a benchmark and cleans up at most 1,000 yard events.. Wild Bill is using a Rock Creek

Some barrels are using 3 lands now...! Really the yanks have some new spec stuff which is delivering...

GG has a few ABS wrapped tubes coming in for us as well...Benchmark seem to hold fine accuracy
RR's new rifle is shooting 4.3 inches at 1,000 with his new .338 Custom on Lawton action.
Even my old edge is shooting under 1 inch at 300 with a remmy action!

Top shot is very happy with his Nargun that Geoff chambered..and did some accuracy work on

I am awaiting an action and a special 7mm barrel for my next project .. have a look at the Matrix ballistics 190 VLD in 7mm....WB has shot it at a acalculated .77 or .78BC

Good to hear from you!

Cheers mate been doing plenty of hunting here and OS this yr, took 1 sambar with the Edge (meat modle) but saw a few velvet stags as well early on.

Might give Geoff a call about a few benchmark barrels then.

Thanks for the help and hope to see you boys down south this season.

Just an update.

Everything has been ordered sweeeet now I just have to wait.

For the stock I went Mcmillan A-4, got rid of the thumbwheel cheek piece, and went for the Saddle, also the colour scheme should look mint I am going down the lines of the Marble finish in Olive, Brown, Black, I've seen a few and they look great so if mine looks anything like them I will be happy.

I wacked the barrel back to 28" Heavy Varmint contour with deep fluting

And Stiller Tac300 Action

Can't wait haha:D

Hey Ant,

Don't wanna spoil your fun and enthusiasm but in all earnest I really think you might have just ordered the wrong action for the 338 Edge.
From all of my research it should be a Stiller Tac 338 not a Stiller Tac 300 as you have stated/ordered.
Sorry to spoil your day but if you haven't already done so ....better nip the bud right now before this goes too far.
Not sure about your stock and action profile either in all this.

Regards

RR

Might see you at this month's GDSA meeting July 2011.....talk with you on this then

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.