New barrel time ?

My choice for a barrel for your application would be a Krieger 4 groove #4.5 contour. For a 30 caliber Stainless Steel barrel, that contour is the smallest they will make.

It will cost you $360 for the blank.

Last edited:
My choice for a barrel for your application would be a Krieger 4 groove #4.5 contour. For a 30 caliber Stainless Steel barrel, that contour is the smallest they will make.

It will cost you $360 for the blank.
I've heard a lot good about Krieger . size is that in relation to the factory sporter size barrel on on the mod. 700 ? Mine is 9/16 at end of barrel. I don't know the contour #. Are you a gunsmith ? Thanks for all of your great info and help Edd.

I've heard a lot good about Krieger . size is that in relation to the factory sporter size barrel on on the mod. 700 ? Mine is 9/16 at end of barrel. I don't know the contour #. Are you a gunsmith ? Thanks for all of your great info and help Edd.
The size is larger than a factory barrel. The diameter measured 5" in front of the recoil lug will be about .900". The diameter of the muzzle of a 26" barrel will be about .670".

A 9/16" muzzle diameter would be about .560". I haven't ever looked at a factory Model 700 barrel for a 300 RUM but that sounds really small. The difference between .560" and .670" at the muzzle is huge.

I am not a Gunsmith.

The size is larger than a factory barrel. The diameter measured 5" in front of the recoil lug will be about .900". The diameter of the muzzle of a 26" barrel will be about .670".

A 9/16" muzzle diameter would be about .560". I haven't ever looked at a factory Model 700 barrel for a 300 RUM but that sounds really small. The difference between .560" and .670" at the muzzle is huge.

I am not a Gunsmith.
I'm probably wrong. That would probably mean it wouldn't fit in the HS Precision stock I have on it ? It has an aluminum bedding block. I remember the muzzle brake was .750. I was possibly going to recruit you to do the work !

Last edited:
WYO, I have a new takeoff 700LR-SS in 26" you can own for $100 plus shipping. Bought the rifle to build my 28 Nosler from. Heavy contour 300 RUM. But.....my 300 RUM is running a Bartlien 4B also. 9 twist.

WYO, I have a new takeoff 700LR-SS in 26" you can own for $100 plus shipping. Bought the rifle to build my 28 Nosler from. Heavy contour 300 RUM. But.....my 300 RUM is running a Bartlien 4B also. 9 twist.
So the barrel is the Bartlien ? 9 twist. Good for heavy bullets. Is it new with no rounds through it ? Definitely interested .

Sorry. The barrel is the factory Remington from a new 700LR-SS I bought to build my 28 Nosler. My RUM, different rifle built previous to the Nosler, from action up. Remington barrel is 10 twist. That's the new takeoff.

Sorry. The barrel is the factory Remington from a new 700LR-SS I bought to build my 28 Nosler. My RUM, different rifle built previous to the Nosler, from action up. Remington barrel is 10 twist. That's the new takeoff.
Ok. Does it have any rounds through it ? Trying to figure out how to pm on here.

I'm probably wrong. That would probably mean it wouldn't fit in the HS Precision stock I have on it ? It has an aluminum bedding block. I remember the muzzle brake was .750. I was possibly going to recruit you to do the work !

Your profile shows you are from CA. California is a big place and I don't know how close you are but you might give Rubicon Precision in Greenwood some consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.