My New Defensive Edge LRKM

I'm working up a load for VV570 in my 338LM Improved. So far I'm getting decent results but it is a pain to load, meters like crap (jagged edges and its longer and thicker than most any powder kernel I've seen).

How goes your load development?

Jeffvn

Are the 90 degree days having any effect on your new powder and load? dgarrett

Dave, as one might guess my load is a full house charge. But remains stable with no increased pressure signs even on the 3rd shot of a 3 shot string. That said I would not want to go up in charge. What this tells me is my load work up is going to be very nice for fall temps.

I am also taking advantage of this time to document velocities at these summer temps and will continue to do so in cooler weather. This will allow for accurate use of the "temp variation" option in shooter and Applied ballistics programs.

Jeff

I'm working up a load for VV570 in my 338LM Improved. So far I'm getting decent results but it is a pain to load, meters like crap (jagged edges and its longer and thicker than most any powder kernel I've seen).

How goes your load development?

Jeffvn

It is a non issue from my RCBS charge master with the straw trick installed. Once in a while I do get a over charge by .1 or .2 but that is easily corrected by simply reaching in with a thumb and finger and removing 1 or 2 kernels. I am using a 5 1/2" drop tube (Forester Blue Ribbon) and it works well with on issues if fed reasonably slow. So it is all working good.

But Jeff, if you want to relieve yourself of the N-570 issues you are having I will buy what ever you have in N-570 powder.:D

Jeff

The first 1005 yard group. Had mirage and a FV wind averaging 7 mph. To save barrel and components while working up drops I only shoot 2 shot groups. When they are this close together that is plenty.
Jeff
Resampled_2013-07-02_10-59-09_296_zpsfdaa4717.jpg

Almost 3200 ft lbs of pure energy at 1000. Kinda hard on 1/2 " mild steel plate.

So....... at the muzzle???? How about 6778 lbs.........

Ouch!!

Jeff

Sounds like 50 Wolves and 40 Lions moving into your backyard hunting area couldn't wipe that NEW GUN SMILE off your face. Congrad's on the fine new gun and chambering. Dave Garrett

Very nice shooting Jeff, but then we have come to expect nothing less from you..:D Almost 6800 ft. lbs. at the muzzle, that is some serious horse power!

Jeff:

I have about 4000 rounds through my 338 LM using only Viht N570 powder, and I have found that is has 0.5 m/sec pr 1 degree C in Mv change. This is also consistent in my 300 winmag, also using 570 powder. But you have to convert it into fps and Fahrenheit ;)

Love your gun, would like to chamber my next barrel in the same caliber, but I guess that would be difficult, living here in Norway. I'll stick to my 338LM, it has proven to be very accurate out to 2000 meters, and also spot on at 2586 meters.

Will shoot my 300 winmag at 2000 meters on saturday, using 230 grs Bergers ;)

Ridiculous group at 1000y. Or I guess you should call them a pair rather than a group! Ha! Awesome shooting and rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts