Muzzle Brake Recommendations

I have several of the MBM brakes including his older style (which are quite effective) and also the Beast (which is even more effective).

The MBM brakes are my favorite. I have two 5-port Beast brakes on two 30 Noslers. One older style 3-port on a 7 SAUM, as well as 3 more older style on smaller calibers.

I also have a 3-port Muscle brake on a 6x47 Lapua. It's my least effective brake. I plan to replace it with a MBM brake.

I do have three of the Browning Recoil Hawg brakes also. These work quite effectively also. They're a two piece style and come with 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 adaptors. Very good brakes. One on a 300 RUM, and another on a 28 Nosler.

I have a Vais on a 7 RUM, feels like shooting a .243.

Been considering a Gentry for a .338 RUM.

Obviously, "quiet" is a marketing ploy but I'd like to try one.

The only thing that does what you're asking is Area 419's Maverick. If you have 2 grand and a year to wait it's great. The more gas a brake pushes reward the more effective it is. The more gas it pushes reward the more concussion the shooter feels.

In general, bastard brakes will be the loudest and most effective. Angled baffles don't seem to be too common, but they're slightly less effective and not quite as loud. Straight port brakes do a decent job at reducing recoil and aren't too loud. Radial brakes will just take the edge off recoil, but aren't much louder than a bare muzzle.

MBM and Area 419 both make very effective brakes. I like MBM's brakes on guns I want to blend the brake into the barrel on, and used Area 419's Hellfire until my Maverick cleared. Both are very effective and very loud to the shooter. Harrell's radial brakes are much quieter, but much less effective. I use them on guns that don't have as much recoil to start with.

I see a couple of responses about the radial brakes not being effective and have to ask- have you guys shot the rifle with and without the brake to verify this? I'm not trying to be critical, just really wondering.

The reason I ask is that I have a relatively lightweight 7 RUM that shoots like a .243. I've never shot it without the brake, so I can't factually comment about recoil reduction.

Shooting it side by side with an unbraked .338 RUM the muzzle blast doesn't seem bad, either. Thinking hard about either a brake or suppressor for the .338.

I see a couple of responses about the radial brakes not being effective and have to ask- have you guys shot the rifle with and without the brake to verify this? I'm not trying to be critical, just really wondering.

The reason I ask is that I have a relatively lightweight 7 RUM that shoots like a .243. I've never shot it without the brake, so I can't factually comment about recoil reduction.

Shooting it side by side with an unbraked .338 RUM the muzzle blast doesn't seem bad, either. Thinking hard about either a brake or suppressor for the .338.
Yes I have.
I went away from the radial due to all the rocks and dust getting kicking up in my face. I did change back and forth after I put the side port Ti Pro on and it was very obvious. Much less recoil and muzzle didn't jump as much

Kris

They do reduce recoil, but they're they're the least effective common design for brakes. While there is a noticable difference between a bare muzzle and a radial brake, they take the edge off rather than deleting recoil like a good bastard brake will. They're generally among the best choices if keeping concussion down is your main concern. They don't redirect as much gas as other designs and what they do redirect is pushed perpendicular to the bore rather than back towards the shooter. They tend to kick up a lot of dust since they're ported all the way around, and the ports on the bottom make them less effective at reducing muzzle rise than other designs that don't direct equal amount of gas up and down.

Yes I have.
I went away from the radial due to all the rocks and dust getting kicking up in my face. I did change back and forth after I put the side port Ti Pro on and it was very obvious. Much less recoil and muzzle didn't jump as much

Kris

Thank you. Like I said, I have no experience.

With the Vais bringing the RUM down to .243 feel, I can't imagine what "less recoil" would feel like.

I also really like the lack of muzzle blast from the radial, too, after reading so many posts with guys complaining about it from side port brakes.

The Hawkins ST brake is what I use. They are designed as the OP described to reduce recoil but push less noise to the shooter's ear. Insite Arms Heathen is also designed that way, and both are self timing. Look at the direction of the ports/gills on the side of the brake and whether they are angled straight out or back. Area 419 and MBM make good brakes but are designed for maximum recoil reduction and do not address blast towards the shooter. Stick any on the end of a long barrel and it won't really be a problem, but I have been happy with the Hawkins for hunting applications.

The Hawkins ST brake is what I use. They are designed as the OP described to reduce recoil but push less noise to the shooter's ear. Insite Arms Heathen is also designed that way, and both are self timing. Look at the direction of the ports/gills on the side of the brake and whether they are angled straight out or back. Area 419 and MBM make good brakes but are designed for maximum recoil reduction and do not address blast towards the shooter. Stick any on the end of a long barrel and it won't really be a problem, but I have been happy with the Hawkins for hunting applications.
The Hawkins and Heathen are both what I'm looking for, but unfortunately neither are available with 1/2x28 threads in 7mm.