Muzzle Brake Recommendations

I am sorry, I mean no disrespect, but Vais and Gentry's Quiet Brake is the least effective of all the muzzle brakes I have owned since 2003. I could not get rid of them fast enough.

Ed, I certainly take no offense from you or anyone else on the subject of the effectiveness of a Vais or Gentry brake. I just can't fathom how my ~8# 7mm RUM is very comfortable to shoot if they are that ineffective?🤷‍♂️

Really makes me want to try a side discharge brake to compare, but I'm afraid of the concussion that so many refer to.

Ed, I certainly take no offense from you or anyone else on the subject of the effectiveness of a Vais or Gentry brake. I just can't fathom how my ~8# 7mm RUM is very comfortable to shoot if they are that ineffective?🤷‍♂️

Really makes me want to try a side discharge brake to compare, but I'm afraid of the concussion that so many refer to.
Started with a vias brake for a couple years then read about MBM on this site. So had to try one, bought an MBM 5 side port on my 300wm for the last 5-6 years. I truly don't notice a concussion. Now whoever is standing off to the the side is gonna feel it😆
IMG_4315.jpeg

Started with a vias brake for a couple years then read about MBM on this site. So had to try one, bought an MBM 5 side port on my 300wm for the last 5-6 years. I truly don't notice a concussion. Now whoever is standing off to the the side is gonna feel it😆
View attachment 527418

In your opinion, is the MBM a ton more effective than the Vais? That might be a good option for my .338 if concussion isnt an issue.

I never said they were ineffective; I said ...
I am sorry, I mean no disrespect, but Vais and Gentry's Quiet Brake is the least effective of all the muzzle brakes I have owned since 2003. I could not get rid of them fast enough. Unfortunately, I still have a rifle with a Vais Brake; it came with the gun. I am leaving it as-is until it is time for a rebarrel since it will be a target/range gun.
The bottom line is if you are happy with it, that is all that matters. I was not, so I got rid of them. And as noted, I still have a rifle with Vais Brake.
1703993792343.jpeg

Vais brake.jpg

This is an old video but it compares a radial brake and a side-ported Terminator Brake well.

I can honestly say a big improvement from the vias in less felt recoil. I'm only 5'10" and 160lb drip'n wet so my small frame feels it! But it definitely will give a concussion laterally, but at the trigger I don't notice it. I rarely have the luxury of a spotter but when I do they are directly behind and no complaints. In short I think you should feel a noticeable improvement especially with the real man's caliber 338!

Here's a newer video using his improved sled comparing a radial brake versus the T1+ side port.

I have the T1 and I haven't noticed the perceived blast, I also have the Meraki Machine self timing brake, it's being replaced by a Terminator T2. I have tried the 280 Ackley with and without MM brake, in my opinion there is minimal reduction of felt recoil.

I'll say based on Darryle's last video is a good comparison of the two types of brakes and if it's worth it for you to change based on felt recoil.
The felt recoil reduction and no more ground blast from prone is worth it for me. Again Darryle's video is very helpful.

View attachment 527418
I have used muzzle brakes since 2003 and owned different brands, including Nathan's/MBM.

Similar to the picture you posted is a 4-port mini beast brake version on my 7MM SAUM
MBM mini beast brake.jpg

4-port beast brake self-timing on my .257 WBY.
1703999901650.jpeg

4-port beast brake self-timing on my .264 WM.
1704000005229.jpeg

5-port beast brake self-timing on my .30 LARA.
1704000328721.png

Just a FYI for those who may be experimenting with brakes:

A guy at our club put a SS hose clamp around a brake and snugged it up to see how much felt recoil he could feel with some (or all) of the holes covered up. It only took one shot to realize just how much pressure is generated at those ports. The SS clamp literally blew apart and flew out in several directions. Fortunately, no one on the line was hit. It was one of those "learning experiences". IIRC the guy was shooting a 7Wby mag.