Muzzle Brake Recommendations

I picked up an APA Gen 3 Fat Bastard with side and adjustable top ports, that I used on my 300PRC last year for a hunt in Canada (no suppressors allowed). Very effective brake, and the top ports help to reduce muzzle flip so it's easier to spot your hits. It's another solid option to consider.

Yes, and depending on which Terminator, Nathan's MBM shines over them. Yes, if I can, I will always support made in the USA first.

I need another brake and I will be ordering one from Nathan.

One thing I have always wondered about these sled tests and I have not seen any correlated information, how much is the felt recoil difference in just an inch or two? I mean, is it measurable in terms a shooter would notice. I would be interested in sending one of the T2s, the Meraki Machine self timing and a factory Browning radial brake to a member for "testing" at the bench. I would do it, but I don't have a 30 caliber magnum. I would even throw some cash towards components or off the shelf ammo. If nothing else, it would be enlightening and we could still "argue" amongst ourselves 😂. Funny how civil disagreements can be here versus other well-known forums.

These are the summary sheets I posted from the link to the complete study early in this thread. Here is the complete link again. The pastern of noise versus muzzle lift, ground signature and recoil reduction is very well illustrated. Pretty easy to evaluate any brake against these designs. You really can't change physics, despite all the marketing hullabaloo and subjective experience.

(The lower the sound score the noisier it is.)

Muzzle-Brake-Reviews.png
Muzzle-Brake-Field-Test-Summary.png

I was thinking I'd lay on a welders blanket that extends out past the muzzle to mitigate the dust issue.
Not sure if that'd work?
Using a rag/blanket/pad under the muzzle was/is a method to minimize dust signature for "strategic marksmen".... Now you always see the shooter on the pad and the muzzle kicking up dust...taping the bottom will only add that piece of tape to the debris created from muzzle blast! 🤪

One thing I have always wondered about these sled tests and I have not seen any correlated information, how much is the felt recoil difference in just an inch or two? I mean, is it measurable in terms a shooter would notice. I would be interested in sending one of the T2s, the Meraki Machine self timing and a factory Browning radial brake to a member for "testing" at the bench. I would do it, but I don't have a 30 caliber magnum. I would even throw some cash towards components or off the shelf ammo. If nothing else, it would be enlightening and we could still "argue" amongst ourselves 😂. Funny how civil disagreements can be here versus other well-known forums.

I sent the factory Browning brake from my 6.5 Creed HC LR to a brake manufacturer. The exit port was large enough for a 340 WBY, so I guess it's one-size-fits-all. :>)

The guy took one look at the brake and said, "I can't see how this thing could work at all".

I have previously addressed this same concern; I, too, would like to see a test with a transducer sensor that measures the actual recoil at the recoil pad in FT-LBS and not a displacement/travel.

Gavin's test rig might be the closest to that.

I was also wondering why he did the comparisons with a weighted down rifle (26lbs). You don't even need a brake on a 300 mag of that weight.
I guess I am looking at a different vantage point than the rifle's weight used in the test. Gavin wrote a proprietary software and generated 100,000 data points. To me, that is impressive. He made enhancements from his initial test, as he explained. It seems that he is looking at further enhancements for future tests. And for that, I am grateful for his time and efforts.

I have read article, 2015 and watched the video, over a year ago. Technology design has changed in just the last year alone, not to mention how much in 9yrs. We see advancements in our industry/sport recently, look at the number of sub $900 actions, lightweight and Titanium actions, lightweight stocks, barrels, scopes, ammo and bullets, that technology has to be linear across the entire spectrum of components, including muzzle brakes.

I think it would be beneficial to hunters, shooters and even manufacturers to publish this data. Anyone can make a claim, but very few actually back up that claim with hard data, even if it proves that a competitor has a better design. It would lead to further advances in the respective area.

I will order a brake from Nathan and conduct my own little experiment.

@Varmint Hunter I fully agree with you on the radial Browning brake, it's not great, but it does offer some minor recoil reduction, nothing like the Terminator T1 that replaced it. Yes, they are a one size fits all approach.

I guess I am looking at a different vantage point than the rifle's weight used in the test. Gavin wrote a proprietary software and generated 100,000 data points. To me, that is impressive. He made enhancements from his initial test, as he explained. It seems that he is looking at further enhancements for future tests. And for that, I am grateful for his time and efforts.

I'm not taking anything away from his work or dedication to our hobby. Just noting that a braked hunting rifle of typical weight would be a lot more relevant for most of us.

@Varmint Hunter I fully agree with you on the radial Browning brake, it's not great, but it does offer some minor recoil reduction, nothing like the Terminator T1 that replaced it. Yes, they are a one size fits all approach.

I replaced mine with a very trim & contour matching Vais brake which Ron Bartlett made for me. Even though the Vais isn't the most efficient brake, it was noticeably better than the Browning "fake" brake. The 6.5 Creed didn't need a brake at all but the barrel was already threaded so I tossed on an eye appealing Vais.

I noticed that Browning now has a brake that is more consistent with current expectations.