Mountain goat hunt,what gun?

338savage

Well im going on my first guided hunt ever and going for a Billy, I'm undecided on what gun to take my tikka 300 wsm shooting 190gr ablr or my tikka 26 nosler shooting 142gr ablr both are sub moa if I do my part and I'm comfortable shooting out to 600 yards with both what do u guys think

take the one youre gut tells you to take if there isn't a big difference in weight. If you are willing to hike that 26 up a hill take it. it will make that shot of a lifetime easier. where you going anyway?

I shot mine with a .300 H&H, 200 grain Accubond. Rifle weighed in at 9lbs. No regrets.
Either of yours will work. Have fun post pictures.

I shot mine with a .300 H&H, 200 grain Accubond. Rifle weighed in at 9lbs. No regrets.
Will do for sure,hunt is not till August and I'm excited already is that normal? Did u anchor him with one shot?

take the one youre gut tells you to take if there isn't a big difference in weight. If you are willing to hike that 26 up a hill take it. it will make that shot of a lifetime easier. where you going anyway?
August going to northern BC canada

I hunted goats in BC last year northeast of Seachelt and it was absolutely one of the hardest things I have ever done... As others have said, they live in some nasty places. I shot my goat with a 28 Nosler running 195 Bergers and it went down immediately. I here they're one of the toughest animals in North America pound for pound so I would recommend the biggest and lightest gun you can take. I think anchoring them is as much about paying close attention to the terrain they're in as the caliber and bullet you're using.

.....Did u anchor him with one shot?.........

Yes! Face plant at 25 yards-took hi, through the near shoulder so he didn't get back in the cliffs, not a long range story for sure.

Where you going? Hope for good weather, but good storms can hover over your location for days.

We live in Northeast Bc, and hunt goats. I can say that, yes lightweight is important but long range shooting is more important. The idea of 1000 yards couldn't be more important in goat or sheep hunting. There are real chances that present themselves and long range shooting increases those odds of scoring big. I would carry what ever you can shoot best at long range. If it was me with the option of those two guns I would take the 300 and try get it dialed in for 1000 yards.

I took a nice Billy in 2011, NW Montana, with my 300 WSM and handloaded 180 grain Accubonds. The shot was at approx. 270 yds. at a 65 degree up angle. One shot...down for the count. Wait, actually tumbled down a steep chute about 500 feet. Toughest hunt I have ever encountered. One of the best adventures in my hunting career. Good luck! MTG

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.